Bride of Zen assembly question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2010, 11:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bride of Zen assembly question

I've read several threads about the Bride of Zen, and I have a question. I have seen this question addressed, but not fully answered. It concerns a couple of the transistors used on the board. I have original boards like are shown in the Pass article. The IRF 610 is illustrative. A three leg device, but only 2 holes are in the board. I know the drain also comes off the back, but what does one do with the left over drain leg? Just leave it there, cut it off, or what?

Thanks for any help clearing up this portion of the mystery for me. I found another post from someone asking the same question, the answer mainly concerned the drain connection, but not what to do with the unused leg.
Somewhere I have the original article in Audio Amateur with the article. seems like it was the same as the article over on the FirstWatt site, but I'm not finding an answer there.

Russellc
Old 20th October 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You could leave it there sitting straight out, it'll kinda look like it's giving you the middle finger, but usually it's just cut off
Old 20th October 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA-amp View Post
You could leave it there sitting straight out, it'll kinda look like it's giving you the middle finger, but usually it's just cut off
Well, I didnt think it would hurt to cut it off, but I just didnt know if it would harm it in any way. I thought it might work like a tiny antenna if left. I just never saw this addressed directly.

Thank again,

Russellc
Old 20th October 2010, 02:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think it's safe (and probably preferably ) to cut it off, but I left it there
for the comical effect.
Old 20th October 2010, 02:41 PM   #5
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
......antenna or not-.......in my bozen i cut it off, because i do not need it anymore.
greets
Old 21st October 2010, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks again everybody, I guess the answer to why it wasnt covered anywhere is that it doesnt matter a great deal. Perhaps I should leave it for comical effect as another suggested. Less to do that way.

Russellc
Old 21st October 2010, 11:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just blew the dust off my old boz board to take a look. There is a slight possibility that the drain pin (if left on, in its normal position) of Q101, 201 could interfere or be uncomfortably close with some resistors. Best to just bend the small part of the pin off. I'll add a pic in a few, once the cam bat is charged.
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA-amp View Post
Just blew the dust off my old boz board to take a look. There is a slight possibility that the drain pin (if left on, in its normal position) of Q101, 201 could interfere or be uncomfortably close with some resistors. Best to just bend the small part of the pin off. I'll add a pic in a few, once the cam bat is charged.
much appreciated!

Russellc

Hide this!Advertise here!