Bride of Zen assembly question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've read several threads about the Bride of Zen, and I have a question. I have seen this question addressed, but not fully answered. It concerns a couple of the transistors used on the board. I have original boards like are shown in the Pass article. The IRF 610 is illustrative. A three leg device, but only 2 holes are in the board. I know the drain also comes off the back, but what does one do with the left over drain leg? Just leave it there, cut it off, or what?

Thanks for any help clearing up this portion of the mystery for me. I found another post from someone asking the same question, the answer mainly concerned the drain connection, but not what to do with the unused leg.
Somewhere I have the original article in Audio Amateur with the article. seems like it was the same as the article over on the FirstWatt site, but I'm not finding an answer there.

Russellc:confused:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You could leave it there sitting straight out, it'll kinda look like it's giving you the middle finger, but usually it's just cut off:D

Well, I didnt think it would hurt to cut it off, but I just didnt know if it would harm it in any way. I thought it might work like a tiny antenna if left. I just never saw this addressed directly.

Thank again,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just blew the dust off my old boz board to take a look. There is a slight possibility that the drain pin (if left on, in its normal position) of Q101, 201 could interfere or be uncomfortably close with some resistors. Best to just bend the small part of the pin off. I'll add a pic in a few, once the cam bat is charged.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just blew the dust off my old boz board to take a look. There is a slight possibility that the drain pin (if left on, in its normal position) of Q101, 201 could interfere or be uncomfortably close with some resistors. Best to just bend the small part of the pin off. I'll add a pic in a few, once the cam bat is charged.

much appreciated!

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.