AM I Planning for disaster??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am all pumped up for Aleph x . But I have small problem with Transformer. I have single primary, 60-0-60 800VA transformer and 70-0-70, 1000va trans former from one of my dead P.A. I am panning to use one side of 60-0-60 for each channel.(see diagram). Am I planning for disaster??

Attachments

• IMG_0065[2].JPG
    IMG_0065[2].JPG
    539.4 KB · Views: 163
(correction: Rectified voltage should be 84 and with virtual ground + -42 rail.)

Is 83v too high for Aleph amps or 800VA too low for that voltage to do class A operation?
I am creating virtual ground by splitting filter caps(it will be few pairs of caps).
By having virtual ground, am I introducing any unstabilities to amp?

You'll end up with +/- 83V. (subtract the diode voltage drops.) Depending on the board you use, you may be able to get away with a virtual ground or none at all.

No such thing as too much voltage, only not enough heat sink. :clown: The AJ-X has some voltage limits, though. That said, search for the AXE-1-2 spreadsheet to look at your power and heat dissipation requirements. To be not current limited, bias @ 10A, you'll get 340W into 8R, dissipate close to 900W per channel, and a 3 KVA transformer per channel is recommended. Not to mention the fun of matching the 60 output devices needed to keep the junction temperatures reasonable.

For either of those transformers, look at class ab. If you want an X amp, scale the X-100 up to 80V rails, although this isn't really a beginner project. It can be very similar to an AX with a push pull Class AB Source follower output stage.

For a straight AX, look for different transformers, 18-20VAC.

Thank you for the reply. Quad 606 information was what I needed. This is DIY project after all. If I burn my amp and transformer , my wife will be happy at least. I will build PS first tonight and stress test with light bulbs(may of them) to see if it can hold its voltage.

One minor problem I see is that your supply is very unlikely to be a symmetrical +/-40V, since that depends on the capacitance on each side of the virtual ground being exactly equal all of the time.

The much bigger problem, as I see it, is that the virtual grounds from each half of the PS will see about 60VAC between them. That will cause all kinds of trouble, and especially if they ever were both connected to an external ground at the same time. Very dangerous.

Jeremy

One minor problem I see is that your supply is very unlikely to be a symmetrical +/-40V, since that depends on the capacitance on each side of the virtual ground being exactly equal all of the time.

The much bigger problem, as I see it, is that the virtual grounds from each half of the PS will see about 60VAC between them. That will cause all kinds of trouble, and especially if they ever were both connected to an external ground at the same time. Very dangerous.

Jeremy
Yep, you are right between virtual grounds 82V and load has to be perfect symmetry otherwise heavier load side collapses and lighter side gets much higher up to 84v. I am opening up the transformer to separate to make 2 independent secondaries and thinking about to making zener, triac and bjt safety circuit to short or balance load on lighter side ultimately cut off secondary from bridge. Too much ???

Last edited:
Sorry to be really silly.

Don't you have 110 v supply in the states

Sort of 55+- If referenced to ground?

Why do you bother with tans formers Just stick a plug to the bridge and a few caps after that.

Just as Papa to design something with 60 70 v rails.

Here in the UK we have tons of 55 0 55 transformers that we use for power tools and they are preaty cheap Think I got a 3000VA in the loft.

Hum... (some body really claver is going to tel me to have a look at the Aleph 1.2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.