Capacitors Aging Pass X0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently repaired my Studer D730 CD player from 1993 and replaced all large caps. I made a nice difference in listening. While doing this I noticed that the caps I was buying Panasonic FK, Elna Silmic had a guarantied life of 2000 hours which is not much!!!

I have now my Pass Labs X0 on 24hours for 10 years, and I am wondering if I should not change the capacitors as well. Any idea on the subject?

What should I replace the eletrolitics with?
I think I can no longer do a factory upgrade to the X0.2 status but may be I can do that during a diy caps replacement?

Life span of electrolytic caps doubles for each 10 degrees lower average operating temperature.
For a 105C cap, a 2000 hour life expectancy corresponds to 128,000 hours at 45C, which is 15 years at 24/24.
For 40C average operating temperature, you'd hit the 20 year mark, means to keep the stuff well ventilated on all sides.

The 2000hrs at 105C is for the lowest grade type, go for 5000 hour types if you'd fancy more than 15/20 years continuous operation at 45C/40C temp.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.