Aleph 3/Marantz CD-63SE Tweaks/DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I run a Marantz CD-63SE into an Aleph 3 directly (by using the volume control on the CD player) and into a pair of Gallo Nucleus References. I was wondering if there would be an improvement if I ran the CD into an Aleph pre-amp and then into the Aleph 3? I wanted to do some tweaks/DIY and was wondering in which order to go about in terms of the most audible improvement for the whole setup?

1. Tweak the Marantz following what is given in tnt.audio - change to IEC socket, RCAs, clock, etc
2. Build the Aleph pre-map.
3. Currently I am using ordinary power cables and I can make some of my own DIY power cables.
4. Get an external DAC and use that between the CD63 and the Aleph 3.
5. External DAC and Aleph pre-amp.

Which ones would you suggest and in which order?

thanks much
vsr

None of the listed above will give the improvement of building the preamp.You actually haven't heard Your Aleph 3 yet If You are driving it from Marantz CD (maybe with 6V output from Audio Note DAC it could sing ,but no way with it).I advice You to build either Aleph L (excellent match for Aleph 3) or Aleph P,which is a little bit more sophisticated.With either of them You can't go wrong.
Bartek

The Marantz vol control is digital and any attenuation will result in loss of data bits resulting in poorer quality sound. Every notch you turn the digital volume down from max setting makes the sound worse because it reduces the digital resolution available. Keep the Marantz vol control at max setting.

Also, the preamp is designed exactly to drive the main amp; the output of your CD is not. So I think it would be a gamble whether you could improve on a pre-amp.

For very useful information, DIY modifications and upgrades visit:

Marantz CD-63 Mods by Lucio “How to improve without a soldering gun”
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd63e.html

“The Naked Truth about the CD-63/7 CD-Player and some improvements along the way”
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd67.html

“Mechanical Improvements for the CD-57 /67 / 67SE”
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd67mods.html

Modifications

1) Upgrade the clock, mandatory upgrade.

2) Remove all electrolytic cap that are in the signal path

3) Bypass the SE amplifier

4) Change OPAMPs to a dual Burr Brown part

5) All more filtering-power supply caps

I've done this to several SE63 players, makes a big difference.

What you say here has an effect ;')

Just wanted to chime in on this one - and say "Thanks!" to Mr Blue_Max. Also, to let everyone know that what you say here can have a positive effect on someone even months later!

I've been upgrading this year, got a C-J preamp in the system, finally kicked the ball and dragged fred through building and installing the Curcio driver boards in my Dyna MKIIIs...

Not happy, cant even listen to it! The CD63 must be the problem, so I started mining here for Pooge and mod info...saw what other people are doing, looked at the pictures, downloaded schematics, tried bypassing the HDAM (sounded worse), undid that, tried different output caps (sounded no better) - gave up. Guess I better plan on doing the "clock mod".

Then I took to heart what Mr Blue_Max said "...with an outboard DAC, you can get 5 more years..." so I got a line on a Meridian 263. Ended up losing that to another buyer, so I snagged an Adcom GDA600.

All I can say is WOW! Best $150 I ever spent on my system. And when I think about taking out the Motherboard (again), cutting etch, soldering under the microscope, bringing stuff to work in anti-static bags to use equipment I dont have at home, putting it all back together, hoping the ribbon cables go back into their little connectors OK this time, hoping some function (like the remote) didnt get lost in the translation...

Your advice was Stellar! Thank-you.

Jim,

Just the Adcom GDA600, using the digital out of the 63 with an interface cable meant for this type of connection. This single item has caused me to crossover from disliking to even listen to my system to actually liking how it sounds.

I dont hear what the other guys hear - something I learned years ago at an audio get-together...But this change was profound enough for even me! And as I do hear differences, I can train my ears to learn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.