convert aleph 2 to pre for f4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
i have just about finnished building 2 x f4 clones to replace my aleph 2 clones
my question is can the aleph 2 be modified and converted to a pre amp with a volume control added to power my f4

the a2 monos cost a lot to build and it would be a shame to see them not used ,it would be great to convert them into a pre amp with just enough gain and output to drive the 2 f4 clones (daul mono aleph 2 preamp driving 2x bridged stereo f4 cones = heaven hopefully)

the a2 is all standard exept it is run on 25v secondary,s instead of 38v i could drop the supply voltage and lower the amount of output devices no probs but what else would be required to make this work

cheers

Since you already have the transformers you may as well use them.
However you could try a shunt regulator.
You could also replace the input devices with 2 x 2sj74.
I would do these things in steps rather than try them all at once.

It might not be necessay but I would be tempted to put a 10uF cap on the output for safety. It is very important to get the dc offset as close to zero as possible if you are not going to use a cap at the output - I don't think the F4 has an input cap.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.