Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah I am in for 2 cases, to add to my 7 other cases I am building.

If only this was done 12 months ago.

How about having the option of having 2 case designs. That is use the same heat sinks and case dimensions but have two options.
Option 1: Beautiful and expensive
Option 2: Cheap and nasty like mine

By the way I might be able to negotiate a good deal with Conrad as I have dealt with them on several occasions and can speak to him in person. Conrad is 10 minute away.

Cheap and nasty does not go with the name "EUVL".
I have my reputation to upkeep !! ;)

Someone else might do the low cost version (but not nasty), and I have already gotten him to talk to variac.

The design will take 2 channels of F5X, so not mono-block, and not a tower design (which is exclusively our own, for now).

I am thrilled that so many of you have PMed me to offer help, or to commit to buying without even seeing one picture.
Variac has seen it, and he seems to be reasonably impressed. That is enough reward for me.

We need to do some more organisational work (getting quotes, etc.) before we can tell you more.

But thanh I'll take up your offer. Get us a quote for 100 pcs MF35-151 with 16 blind holes tapped M3x6deep, plus estimated shipment cost to Mark Lai.

Drawing to follow later.

Patrick

Cheap and nasty does not go with the name "EUVL".
I have my reputation to upkeep !! ;)

Someone else might do the low cost version (but not nasty), and I have already gotten him to talk to variac.

Patrick

Cheap and nasty is just a saying. I didn't mean it literally.
Here are my two cheap and nasty monoblock cases I have on the go for a JLH amp.

I will try and get a quote to today.

Attachments

• DSC00910.JPG
    DSC00910.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
The total cost of aluminium (cut to size) to make 7 cases of varying dimensions was $240.
So on average that comes out to about $35 per case.
A conservative guess for the big cases would probably be about $50 to $60 per case (it might actually be cheaper than this).
To do the cases you see in the picture the cost of aluminium would have most likely cost around $25 per case.
I used 10mm for front plate and 3mm plate for top, bottom and back plates.
I will get more detailed info later.

Maybe we should just machine the rest, send them all 50 sets to you, let you order the Conrad heatsinks, and you ship them on to those lucky buyers.

;)

But maybe shipment cost is not too cheap down under, compared to Hong Kong, Singapore, and the like ??

Patrick

hehe, I think I would be buried in cases:scared:, though my new workshop is sized to account for this. if this is serious offer I would consider it, but I do think it would be better to go with somewhere in china, as shipping is rather pricey here and we are further from the rest of the world. shipping to asia from here would be fine, but I fear to the ROW would be expensive.

John, yeah the ego I think can weather it, problem is though that I am still toying with the idea of using this as part of a set of active speakers for the mid/highs (Class D bass). I dont have the speakers for this yet (my current speakers are active studio monitors), it is next project starting serious research and first purchases now.

The total cost of aluminium (cut to size) to make 7 cases of varying dimensions was $240.
So on average that comes out to about $35 per case.
A conservative guess for the big cases would probably be about $50 to $60 per case (it might actually be cheaper than this).
To do the cases you see in the picture the cost of aluminium would have most likely cost around $25 per case.
I used 10mm for front plate and 3mm plate for top, bottom and back plates.
I will get more detailed info later.

thanh1973,

you guys dig a hole in your back yard and find gold nuggets. I think cost of Aluminium in Australia is probably not a fair representation. Here its alot more expensive but I can not recall the costs. I expect usa and europe is spendy too.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don't forget that pre-tapped holes on a general pattern means more holes than you might need, and hence more costs.

;)

Patrick

PS Thank you Mark for your kind words. I am glad you like the case design.
We shall publish it when the forum is ready to organise a group buy of some sort.

I have found that with CnC a few extra holes doesn't cost much more..

Patrick

Is It confirmed that Conrad MF35-151 can get 130 W heat
how the pairs would be placed - In one row or two

As Patrick stated that his design is using zenner referenced regulators (2 per channel, I guess) in the P.S. we must consider the added Pd of those mosfets (4-5 V * 2 A * 2 = 16-20 W per ch. roughly), unless they have their own heatsink.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.