Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it makes you all happy, I can make a request to the moderators to split all my posts off this thread into a new thread call "F5X -- EUVL's approach". Then we can all happily go our separate ways, and each individual can decide for himself which approach to follow.

I don't see it that way. I agree we should separate the threads, but I don't see it as deciding who has the best approach, and being loyal to that individual.

I think the purpose of NYC's thread is sharing his journey learning and building a fine amplifier thanks to Nelson, yourself and others.

The purpose of your thread is to gather those people who are interested in building an amp that has had many hours spent in perfecting and developing thanks to the group effort of many experienced individuals.

Starting a sentence with "If it makes you all happy" does not have a positive connotation.
By doing that you are dividing people. I don't think it is just me who feels that way.

"Then we can all happily go our separate ways" sounds full of sarcasm. Sarcasm is not the way to unite people.

Well you can deny this and just say it is all in my imagination, and if you do I will give you the benefit of the doubt but I am sure other people feel as I do here, and that is the point. The point is how you are making other people feel not so much what you did or did not say.

I agree with zen mod about taking this all too seriously.

Last edited:
If it makes you all happy (quote from a famous person), O.K. some of you, might be interseted in the "F5 for low Z loads" thread. Most people have no need for low impeadance loads and should try to stay away if possible. It's just easier to drive 4 or 8 ohm speakers. But, I, and some others just gotta do it for some reason. I'm not saying my amp will drive your Maggy's but, you might get away with alot of questions you'ld rather not ask here...
I have been trying to understand the F5 enough to not screw up N.P.s creation but make it drive a 2 ohm load as well as the rest of your amps... We might figure it out?
:Pawprint:

WEL WEL WEL truubles again
wander why I have stopped posting.(wel not as entusiastic and exited as I use to be maybe)

Is it not time that finghers should be pointed?

Cancel that actualy not realy the place to point finghers is it?
Maybe why not just ask yourself why truble again.
Is not the first time that this happens to me.

Why don't just ask yourself do I need to make 30 post a day to fulfill my life.

Why don't just ask yourself is this my huse is this my wife.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Russel,
I have checked back through this thread to ensure that I was not involved in any of the "problems" perceived by NYCO and Russel.
I can confirm I did not take part in any advice giving, nor instruction, nor teaching of NYCO.

As such I have been watching this thread and the way it has developed and came here to offer my opinion on what I have seen happening.
My post947 has no need to defend any of my actions/statements, it is offered in a way that may allow some Members to stand back and review their own behaviours. In my view it is not biased.

I cannot see what gives Russel the right to express this view in public, even if he had evidence that supported NYCO's outburst.
I don't know what made you say that, I don't know what you hoped to achieve with that, I don't know who you are criticising.
But I do think you are wrong in stating what you did.

Re read your posts, I think it will come clear, if you keep at it. By the By, I dont need your permission to give me the right to do anything. This is the attitude of which I am speaking. People have expressed poor attitude here, its plain to see. If you dont like it pointed out, dont do it. How dare you attempt to berate me for expressing whats all here to see.

Russellc

Could you guys please settle this via PM if you need to discuss this further? I think its time we got on with this thread, and focus back on the development of the FX5.

Thanks Patrick for the update on the PCB's. I look foward to seeing what you and the proto team have put together. I'm sure its going to be top notch!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Could you guys please settle this via PM if you need to discuss this further? I think its time we got on with this thread, and focus back on the development of the FX5.

Thanks Patrick for the update on the PCB's. I look foward to seeing what you and the proto team have put together. I'm sure its going to be top notch!

Agreed. Embarrassed to be a part of all that. On to the Balanced F-5, all else aside.

Russellc

That's my issue, still unanswered for this circuit.

I think I learned V=IR when I was 5 years old. I don't know a thing about balanced amps and PP and how one determined the bias calculation for this circuit. I'm glad to try and get things wrong, I'm always amazed folks won't give an answer.

Is it true that I biased to 1A, or for the balanced PP circuit is that 2A? I guess I find it a little snarky that someone couldn't understand that and felt the need to poke me with Ohm's law. They could have simply answered the question. Perhaps they didn't know.

I don't think this is the issue. I think the issue is that NYC is having trouble visualising the difference between series and parrallel parts of the circuit, which makes it difficult to determine the total bias

Last edited:
Inclusiveness -

I was new to the forum a few months ago. I have lots of geeky hobbies, and at various times have been a part of any number of forums - from telescopes to RC planes. DIYAudio seems a great place, but there is absolutely a sense of one-upsmanship and superiority that I haven't seen in other forums.

I was shocked when, as a beginner, I was told I didn't know enough to build an amp, or ask a question. As I've said before, I read the F5 thread three times before I posted my first question. What a lot of you don't seem to realize is 99% of that thread goes right over a person's head unless they've been looking at amps before, are an engineer, or have electronics training. I'd had none of those. I'd blown my amp, and wanted to replace it. I came the the conclusion Nelson Pass built the finest amps in the world, and best yet - he was willing to help you build them too.

Now I'm a huge believer in internet forums and open exchange of information. Personally, I feel all of the folks here need to realize we'd have relatively little without Nelson Pass. I continue to be in awe of his efforts to help this forum and its members.

All of the above being said, I always get a little surprised when folks take something Nelson's given the public, tweak it, and try to make it proprietary.

For my part, I don't think I've done anything except try to answer the questions that many, many beginners have about building wonderful amps. My method is to ask all the questions, some insightful, some obvious and try to build. I report EVERYTHING I can think of. If someone asks me a question, I answer with all the information I have.

If my efforts are not in the spirit of the DIYAudio forums, I'll be glad to bow out of the thread. I don't want to upset EUVL with openness and full disclosure of information, he should have a place to communicate privately with the few people he's chosen to build an amp Nelson Pass designed. He rejected me as not being useful enough - nice spirit.

I'm sorry I upset EUVL. I'm sorry I tried to learn about Class A amplifiers designed by Nelson Pass and given to the forum by Nelson Pass. I truly wish EUVL luck in his private build of a modified F5. EUVL's build effort seems to encompass the spirit Nelson has tried to instill in this forum of giving and openness.

No need to split the thread, I won't be posting here again.

That's my issue, still unanswered for this circuit.

I think I learned V=IR when I was 5 years old. I don't know a thing about balanced amps and PP and how one determined the bias calculation for this circuit. I'm glad to try and get things wrong, I'm always amazed folks won't give an answer.

Is it true that I biased to 1A, or for the balanced PP circuit is that 2A? I guess I find it a little snarky that someone couldn't understand that and felt the need to poke me with Ohm's law. They could have simply answered the question. Perhaps they didn't know.

I will answer your question.
You have an N and a P channel mosfet on one side of the balanced circuit, and these are in series with each other. You have another pair of N and P on the other side of the balanced circuit which are also in series with each other.

So you have 1 pair on each side (ie 2 pairs) which are in parrallel. So simply add the currents of the parrallel pairs.
So if you have 1A through each pair the total bias is 2A.

If that still does not make sense I will draw pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.