Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Default toroidals 500VA (one per channel; 2 per housing):

Piltron 087313201, but need 4x secondaries due to high current (i.e. non standard)
Antek AN5415
Schuro V-RKT-MS-SW 500.15 (voltage non-standard)

(Disclaimer : the above are listed only as examples of dimensions, and not because of quality)

Secondaries are 2x15Vac, which means 19Vdc after rectifiers (2x full bridge per channel).
Maybe a touch too high for CRC but perfect for regulators (MOSFET Follower).

Let's see if we get a huge round of objection post now (or for special wishes) ...... ;)

Patrick

PS I am not a fan of potted toroidals, but Schuro's unpotted does not have E&M shields.

Last edited:
Parallel survey :

Yes or no Stainless Steel Push Button (1x 10mm, not toggle switch) on the front panel :

Yes Push button

ashaw
TheShaman
Horio
qusp
johnwmclean

No Push button

xxx
xxx
xxx

landslide... confirmed.

C-R-C vs C-Reg, sorry I’m on sitting on fence with this one.

..and toroidal’s I don’t know enough to say which is would be my preference from your list...

the only other company that I’ve had exceptionally good dealings with is SumR, is the omission something obvious?

John

1) I do not know SumR. Never used them before, and have no immediate plan to.
2) I cannot find how big their 500VA is on their website.
3) I cannot possibly list all Tx available on the market.
4) See Disclaimer in post #402.

As it stands, the layout will take max. 150mm dia. x 80 high (excluding where the wires come out).
So it will not take the Plitron Low Noise Audio, which has a larger core and is some 16mm over size.
But since we are already grossly over-dimensioned (4x), there is no need to spend extra money, IMHO.

And no, there is little space left for the extra 35mm required for those (larger Plitrons).
Depth of the amp is determined by heat sink width.

Patrick

Last edited:
In case someone ask about speaker protection circuits, it has of course been published before :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/47117-aleph-x-speaker-protection.html#post527152

This is the basic circuit for protection only, excluding control logic.

Since 2004, the diff pair has been replaced (in our own usage) first by 2SJ109BLs (yes), and recently matched 2SJ74BLs.
But you can still used matched PNPs, just reduce the input resistors from 100k to 10k to prevent too much voltage drop due to base currents..

Patrick

Last edited:
You should look at the design as a whole and see what fits, rather than getting a collection of components and then try to marry them into one design which is then never coherent.

Patrick

ermm, not sure if that was directed at me or not, because I did not suggest anything as a substitute, just saying that thats quite a statement and a bit exciting, because the APEM are VERY nice push buttons. the ones I chose to go with my builds work beautifully with them, why would I choose something before i've seen the case? that would be idiotic. on the other hand, pretty hard to clash anything with a flat matt silver cylindrical disc 5mm thick.

not all of us have access to a CNC or milling machine, or the want to get a custom button made for a one off build, so choosing from high quality commercial options is all most of us can do
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say is that while the APEM switch on its own is pretty, a less spectacular button with the correct proportions will fit better in our design than the APEM.

Nothing against the APEM.. Just it does not fit.

And there are many options from APEM AV series :
http://www.apem.com/pdf/AV-B.pdf

Patrick

PS
Since you are for SumR, can you find out how big (400VA or 500VA) ?

Last edited:
What I was trying to say is that while the APEM switch on its own is pretty, a less spectacular button with the correct proportions will fit better in our design than the APEM.

Nothing against the APEM.. Just it does not fit.

understood, for sure the proportions are very important. that button above came in 16 and 22mm sizes, so I grabbed both, I like how understated it is, I also prefer discrete LEDs rather than LED lit switches.

And there are many options from APEM AV series :
http://www.apem.com/pdf/AV-B.pdf

yes the other one I have is in that range, but I like the first one best as its so understated, and I like the fact it doesnt move, so will never wear out protrudes only 3mm and is exactly the same colour and finish as my case

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

yeah they make great stuff, pity they arent more available around here, I have to order from elfa if I want a decent selection and I have to get my friend to put the order through since they wont deal with outside the EU.

PS
Since you are for SumR, can you find out how big (400VA or 500VA) ?

done, after I saw your post in reply to mine earlier I sent Richard an email asking if our needs were possible within the size constraints. I did not know what current rating the secondaries should be?, so omitted that, but asked for 500VA with 2 x 15vac secondaries and coreband and whether this would fit in 150 x 80mm. anything else I should add? he has been quite approachable WRT group pricing for smallish bulk buys before. will let you know what he says. I prefer potted TX personally, but thats cool, i will do that if it will fit, but did not ask for that in the quote.

we did want 2 separate 0-15 secondaries rather than a single 15-0-15 didnt we?

Last edited:
asked for 500VA with 2 x 15vac secondaries and coreband and whether this would fit in 150 x 80mm. anything else I should add? ..............., but did not ask for that in the quote.
that 16Aac of secondary current requires ~5sqmm of copper cross sectional area.
It is very likely that this will be a bi-fillar, or even more likely a tri-fillar winding to allow thinner wire diameter to be used.

AC Current = 500VA / (2x15) = 16.7A.

As AndrewT said, most likely bifilar (i.e. in effect 4 secondaries wired as 2x 2 in parallel).

Whether you GB Tx or not is not my real interest. I leave that up to you.
I only want to make sure that people do not complain two months from now I did not allow them enough space.

Patrick

I will only participate in a GB or help organize if people want me to, I have no massive interest in being that guy, but if the quote comes back favorable, I will help out organize pricing as Richard and I have done a bit of business before in the past; then we will go from there.

Detailed drawings all finished this evening, so we shall get cost estimates in the next day or two.
Based on the response from the PSU survey, we shall only be quoting 10~15 housings for the first batch.

And then it is up to Variac when he finishes with BAF how (if) he wants to proceed.

A few more days for the PCB, and I'll have fulfilled all my obligations. :)

Patrick

John,

A week or so ago when we were first announcing this, the people who were willing to commit themselves before seeing any photos or drawings came to roughly the same number. I thank you all for showing so much confidence in me. I am flattered.

The quote is, as the words says, merely a quote. People running the forum will decide how they want to proceed with this. Because there are no parts designed for mass production methods (casting, extrusion, stamping, ...), there is not going to be a huge difference whether we do 10 or 50 for a batch. And since the sum is not small (we are talking about most likely >400 Euros per case including the Conrad heat sinks predrilled and tapped for F5X), I can understand the forum is not willing to take the risk and dish out the money up front.

So let's wait until we get the prototype done and release the photos (and some innovative new features in vibration isolation), and then you can all do a firm show of hands. I am sure if there is sufficient demand even after the first batch, the forum will not hesitate to order a second batch.

As I said, it is up to Variac as to how and if he wants to proceed. I am merely providing a service, this time totally free labour.

In the meantime, you can help by joining the surveys. That in itself is an indirect show of interest.

Patrick

Last edited:
sumR spec

well as usual Richard got back to me surprisingly quickly
attachment.php

and there are 2 other boxes he can order in if we find them more suitable

Here is a design. As you know, we can alter it to your needs.
I have listed the toroid box in stock. There are two others I would have to order if preferable;
a) 149 x 82.5
b) 152 x 75.
These are a bit larger and allow shielding on the top & the sides.
i'll have a quote later today I have also asked for info without a box, just with mounting hardware

i'm definitely keen on the case, but I do want to see it first, not to judge its quality, that is beyond doubt, just whether or not it is suitable for myself personally for this build. love the sound of the suspension

Attachments

• sumR F5 spec sheet edit.jpg
    sumR F5 spec sheet edit.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.