Balanced F5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as mentioned, the XO would be an external digital one with no XO at all in the monitor. the only electronic components would be the amps in a shielded enclosure at the bottom and another plate amp for the low bass (a separate speaker), in this setup I would either be using 2 balanced F5s plus eventually a plate amp for a separate low bass (not needed in my room as yet), or more likely some other lower powered amp for the highs, the F5 for the bass and mids and plate amp for low bass. any way I do it would involve the XO being external, so not a stretch to do the whole think creatively mounted close by externally.

any further on the subject should probably be done elsewhere though, although I suppose its vaguely on topic :)

still food for thought though and i'll take it under advisement.

cheers :cool:

Last edited:
I realize the goal of the thread is to build the amp Patrick outlined in his XF5 posts. Is there a chance we can also try a set of the IRFP devices? That's been my question all along.

I just got pricing for the Toshiba output devices and the number is $112 for a matched set of 8. In contrast, a matched set of IRFPs is ~$24. The ~$90 difference doesn't make of break the project from me, but it adds up if you're building more than one (as I hope to).

I find your remarks unfair.

I think what you're saying is that there is history to support the decisions you made as well as a place to openly discuss. That is fair, I didn't consider that aspect.

Honestly, and this is my $0.02, but there is enough information out there to make the F5X. I did it. I also contacted you and you answered all my questions and were very helpful. The point is, sometimes having "just enough information" allows one to learn more than having "all the information". I think you would agree with this.

I have projects built that I know for a fact only one or two more builds are out there in existence. Why aren't there more? Was the designer not clear and was there lack of solid documentation? Nope. And this brings us to the other side of the coin, and it is this side where I'd argue there is value to the pre-built modules. The greater amount of work that is done and the more plug-and-play, the greater exposure you will get. Why do you think there are so many chipamps out there being built?

One coin, two sides :)

I am not really interested in how many people would own an F5X (or the DAO headphone amp, or my 2-stage Mosfet Circlotron, for that matter).
I know how good they sound, and so do people who built them.

I am only interested in how many would build them for themselves and in the process learn something about audio electronics.

That is where we differ. And I stick to my own ideals.

Patrick

If you get 4 PMs everyday asking you to sell them F5X boards, there comes a time when it is less hassle to make it available than to turn down all these requests in a diplomatic manner.

Everyone here knows how long I have resisted making the PCB available. Years !!
If you want to help, please try to propose something more constructive.

> I also contacted you and you answered all my questions and were very helpful.

The least you can do is to say thank you.

Patrick

Last edited:
And this brings us to the other side of the coin, and it is this side where I'd argue there is value to the pre-built modules. The greater amount of work that is done and the more plug-and-play, the greater exposure you will get. Why do you think there are so many chipamps out there being built?

One coin, two sides :)

I don't think Euvl is out to win a popularity competition.
For me populating a pcb is very easy.
The hardest part or at least most time consuming part is building a chassis, tapping and drilling holes, wiring, and mounting all of the hardware on the back plate, and have it look respectable enough that the wife won't mistake it for a piece of junk, and throw it in the bin.

Many of your have PMed me to offer help. My sincere thanks to all.

I can use with all the help I can get to reduce my work load. But we are doing fine right now. We need to get the Gerber files done, and I need to get realistic pricing for the chassis. When both of these are settled, I shall publish a BoM. And then I am sure you will organise yourselves for GBs and what not.

I already have one volunteer to build the first proto and post his experience. I might have another more experience DIYer to do the same in parallel. Then he could help me to answer some of the more technical questions.

Some of these takes time, so please be patient.

Patrick

thanh,

Shipment cost of Conrad sinks to HK is critical.
Please kindly check with them.
Worst case we have to ship sinks direct to the end user.

Last edited:
Yeah I am in for 2 cases, to add to my 7 other cases I am building.

If only this was done 12 months ago.

How about having the option of having 2 case designs. That is use the same heat sinks and case dimensions but have two options.
Option 1: Beautiful and expensive
Option 2: Cheap and nasty like mine

By the way I might be able to negotiate a good deal with Conrad as I have dealt with them on several occasions and can speak to him in person. Conrad is 10 minute away.

The only other option I would add is
Option 3a: Monoblock - Beautiful and expensive
Option 3b: Monoblock - Cheap and nasty.

That might have to be for another time. I suppose two of option 1 or 2 could be suitable for monoblocks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.