Aleph P 10uf Capacitor Selection Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2003, 04:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to acliao Send a message via AIM to acliao
Default Aleph P 10uf Capacitor Selection Help

I am in the final stage of making the PCB and component selection for the Aleph Preamplifier Clone but stuck on the selection of 10uf input and output coupling capacitors.

Due to the budget and space contrain, Should I go with the Wima 10uf/100V MKP4, Solen 10uf/250V or BlackGate N-type 10uf/50V? I know it has been suggested to used the MPP type capacitors in the signal critical areas but I also read the Blackgate N-type is just as good if not better than some cheaper MPP type capacitors.

Since 16 capacitors will cost me close to $100, I would like to buy them once and just enjoy listening to music afterward. With all the knowledge people here in the forum, I would like to ask for your expertise and suggestions. Thank you very much for all of your help.
Old 3rd July 2003, 05:43 PM   #2
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Allelectronics has 10uF Aerovox polypropylene for I believe $2. I have some 12uF that are from a very similar series that measure and sound excellant. They are physically very large but you may be interested.
Old 3rd July 2003, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default 10uf Caps

The caps I would be looking at are from Reliable Capacitors, TRT Dynamic Caps, Auricap Caps and ASC X363-10-5-100. The ASC used to be made by TRW and are very good. I would purchase a some of the cap I have mentioned and then use some Solens to complete the total value about 50/50 mix. In addition, I would not use electrolytic caps in the signal path. If you do not have the money for the high-end cap leave room them on your layout, you want to change them in the future.

ASC are sold by Allied Electronics at 1-800-433-5700 www.alliedelec.com
The other caps can be purchased from Michael Percy Audio www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf

Jim
Old 3rd July 2003, 06:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I wouldn't hesitate to use BG N type caps over Solens any time. They are comparatively smaller and reasonably priced (comparing to other exotic brands). I've been using them in my amps and DACs and for the price and size, as well sonics, it's hard to beat them.

Also, 10u value is not critical here, and anything reasonably close to it is fine.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 4th July 2003, 12:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to acliao Send a message via AIM to acliao
thank you all for the fast reply. In the particular application, is 50V rating enough? What's the minimum voltage should I use? I also see some BG 6.3V N-type caps. Thank you.
Old 4th July 2003, 10:06 AM   #6
Jaac is offline Jaac  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

i've placed some wima mkp4 10uF on my preamp pcb. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th July 2003, 12:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
50V is enough. With film caps, higher voltage usually makes for a better sound.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 7th July 2003, 07:46 AM   #8
Klaus is offline Klaus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Why not modern Electrolytics?

Hi,

I checked many Caps, foil types as well as electrolytics (lets call them elcos). Also many bypassing possibilities.

I find that all fat foil elcos somehow sound a bit of slowly and intransparent. Just ultra inductance free types like Mundorf Supreme get rid of this- but they are very expensive, too.

Modern, best class Elcos sound very open, fast and they are reasonable. I personally prefer the Panasonic FC type. BG also do good - but the price... Elna IMHO sound terrible bright. And now THE trick: to get rid of the bright and "sharp" elco sound bypass them with 10-22nF Styroflex or small foil caps (ERO1830, EMZ like Thel has). The result really is exiting! Nothing left of the bit of aggressive elco sound, extreme open and dynamic.

After more than one year with this solution (220UF Pana FC/25V + 10nF ERO 1830) I testetd back to 33UF Solen MKP plus diverse bypass tests. No chance at all! Give you the chance and just test it - maybe your PCBs can become much smaller due to missing Cap monsters and your saved budget will support other divices.

Regards

Klaus
Old 7th July 2003, 09:26 AM   #9
Account Disabled

For my BOSOZ (not far away from Aleph P), I use a cheap and small size of morden 47uF electrolytic output capacitor paralleled with 1uF Icel metallised polypropylene. I the sound.

JH
Old 8th July 2003, 07:57 AM   #10
Igla is offline Igla  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Hi !
I'm a new member and I would like to know , if anyone
have tried one of these caps :
WIMA MKS2 / 100V
AXON foil caps
and
Intertechnik AUDYN-CAP MKP / 400V caps (the black ones).
Thanks and bye.

Hide this!Advertise here!