New Aleph 1.2's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of building - several Aleph 1.2 clones. I call these amp Aleph 1.2 "S" for scrap. The aluminum plate and the heat sinks were all purchase as scrap or salvage materials. The
time labor and to get to this state of completion was much longer than anticipated, however getting there. The heat sinks
were purchased from a metal salvage dealer, who just happen to have a bunch of Nelson’s salvage sinks. The aluminum plate was also purchased as salvage material and cut to size
on 14” bandsaw and power miter. Having built these to chassis I now see why other manufactures don’t build amps like this, time and money.

In another week or two, they will be off to be anodized and they will be ready for the electronics. All the components are purchased except for the transformers. The bottom half of the chassis is for the transformer and bridge. Beside the two amps pictured, a friend of mine has built another two 1.2's you can check them out on his web site www.mcranepage.com.

Regards
Jim W.

Attachments

• aleph 1.2's ra.jpg
    aleph 1.2's ra.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 916
More on Aleph 1.2s project

No, I am not going to wind the transformers, I considering using either a Piltron or Troid Co. about 1.5KV. We looked at doing the anodizing however; we found a local shop that would anodize two complete amps for about $45.

Also, I am looking to build a PCB for Mosfet power distribution, and routing the output signal. At this time I am looking for a good board shop, if you know of one wiling to do small quantities please let me know.

Before the amp go to the anodizer they will be sanded to clean up the finish. This will give it a brushed look.

In addition, I do have Mechanical drawing for anyone interested.

Regards
Jim W.

Attachments

• aleph 1.2 t&b.jpg
    aleph 1.2 t&b.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 753
Aleph 1.2 build

I do not have name of the shop where the sinks came from. A friend of mine in the San Jose area found them. He purchased enought sinks to build 6 Alephs 1.2's and three Alephs 3's. I believe the picking their or slim now, we had a number of sinks that were warped or had bent fins. I will have with my friend for his number.

The Amp it self is 14 1/2 X in height and the Fins 15" X 15" X 10”. The amp transfers some of heat on the top plate, the bottom plate and the sides, so it should be ok. The amp is one giant sink, and with the bottom side plates it larger than the original PASS 1.2 design.

Regards
Jim W.

Aleph Build

The 6 each mono Aleph 1.2 will be used as the main amps for stereo systems. My friend claims he will use the Aleph 3's for his home system, he out there. Ok, I agree that the 1.2 are just a little over the top. With the physical size of the amps it does lend it self to many configurations.

Yep, the transformers will be 1.5kw

The project has been a major deal, cutting the aluminum, and tapping so many holes. I'm hoping that it will all be worth it when the components are added.

Jim W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.