Amp For Newb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey...

I'm looking to DIY an amp and was hoping some one with more knowledge then I could gimme a few pointers...

Basically, I got a lil studio and am at present using pair of Alesis Monitor 1's Mk2's runnin of a NAD 3020i (80 notes richer sounds special ;p)...

After lurkin here for a while and seeing some of the monster clones created I thought it time for me to build a beast of my own. Which one is the question...

As stated i'd be using it with the Alesis mons...

Any pointers be appreciated as always...

Best...

Dan

Your monitors are quite a good speaker, capable of good transient definition and imaging. (I'm surprised you are not running with a Doug Self kit, anyway Pass is the best for big class A and real music)

I assume you are using them near field, so you could get away with 50/75 pwc.

My initial suggestion would be the proven Aleph 5 or Aleph 60, the latter has more headroom and better bass control. See the Mark Finnis web page for great plans.

If you want no holds barred, build up a 50/75 wpc X Aleph. But be prepared to crunch some numbers and skate around on the forum a fair bit for support.

Oh, and you'll need boards for either of the above, I saw some Aleph boards on the Trading Post.

macka:spin:

Hey Macka...

I assume you are using them near field, so you could get away with 50/75 pwc.

Using them nearfield indeed...

My initial suggestion would be the proven Aleph 5 or Aleph 60, the latter has more headroom and better bass control. See the Mark Finnis web page for great plans.

May look at the A60 then, headroom and tight bass are essential...

Are there any PCB layouts of the Aleph 60 about?

Other thing was to make a GC, after posting in the chipamp forum that was recommended...

Thanks...

Dan

Dan,

Do a search for the A60, and take a look at Mark Finnis site via the Passlabsdiy.com Gallery. It will gove you some ideas on how to go about it.

Mark has been a pioneer in the area of Aleph diy amps, he was the first I recall to make an Aleph 4. The A60 is very similar jst less power.

There are other forum members who have made more recent layouts, again search the forums.

By all means the GC is an interesting option, although I have not heard it my self.

The Aleph is a relatively easy amp to get going, and its signature would be welcome in a monitoring application.

macka

Excellent,

That would be a good one, with stacks of headroom.

The Balanced line stage is a excellent line stage for the Aleph.

Let me know how you go with the boards, if you get stuck I can help. You will also find the crew at Passlabs very helpful.

Welcome to the exciting realm of Passlabs diy audio.

macka:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.