Transformer Screen & Signal Grounding Issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The RCA's are isolated from the case. what i meant was that the preamp/source has the left and right RCA ground connected together and that is the only direct connection between the grounds of the two channels.
the other connection is the one from each 0v rail to the chassis through a CL60 (nominal 10 Ohm) thermistor.
hope that is clearer

cheers,
mymindinside

Once upon a time I drove trucks for a second job which required tying down loads with ropes etc, a wise fellow once told me "If you can't tie knots, tie lots".
So what I am saying here is try absolutely everything (ie process of elimination). Then once you solve your problem, try and understand the problem.

Last edited:
That's good advice, i have tried a few possibilities. the most successful was to tie the signal grounds of both channels together at one star, and have a wire going from this star to each channel's pcb. the 0v rail went directly to the channel pcb. this left a much quieter hum which bothered me only in quiet passages during critical listening but every time i heard it i felt that i needed to fix it and do a proper job on my amp!
does my wiring scheme look ok to you?
if i remove the input cable from the preamp, there is absolutely no hum.
if i remove the connection to safety earth (i know this is not safe as a permanent solution, i was just trying it to see if it fixed the problem) the hum remains unchanged.

any ideas?
cheers,
mymindinside

will try using a mini to rca input cable and my ipod as a source without the pre and see if it helps

cheers,
mymindinside

Good thinking

Just one more thing. Are you sure that all your mosfets are isolated from the heatsink?
One more thing what type of rectifier diodes are you using (some of them need silpads to be isolated from the chassis)?

Last edited:
i think i posted as you typed, the hum remains when using just the ipod but is quiet if the ipod is disconnected but the cable plugged into the amp. this cable has a miniplug at one end, which has just one terminal for ground so it connects the grounds together even without the ipod being plugged it. shouldn't the amp hum with just the cable connected?
EDIT: with the ipod connected, if i disconnect one of the RCAs from the amp the hum goes away. As i understood, the loops were formed in the ground connections of the components. the miniplug has one terminal for ground, and it is plugged into the ipod; how can removing one channel's input get rid of the hum?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.