Aleph 4 Strickly DIY Project Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Try just entering KK-PCB into your search engine. The links are still perfectly valid.

Sorry, when I go to the site its there, and the schemos are there for the indiviual amps, but when you click on the owner's manual (also available on the Passlabs site) or the service manual,( which either isnt available on Passlabs.com, or I havent found it yet) the link goes nowhere, or at least that's what's happening when I go there.

Thanks for the project. Will this thread show all the board patterns needed and or a diagram showing which part goes where on the board?

thanks again for taking on this project.

Russellc

I've not had the graceful tones of Nelson in my quarter yet so I coudn't say.

As Nelson is quite happy for his designs to be used in the DIY quarter, I can't see him complaining too loudly even if someone is exploiting his ideas to their own gain. The KK PCBs are horrendously expensive compared with the TRUE DIY option.

Mine cost me £25.00 as opposed to over £100 from KK-PCB.

As Nelson is quite happy for his designs to be used in the DIY quarter, I can't see him complaining too loudly even if someone is exploiting his ideas to their own gain. The KK PCBs are horrendously expensive compared with the TRUE DIY option.

Does KK PCB have the support of Nelson. They do seem over priced.
I wonder how KK PCB would feel if someone were to copy there pcb layout and sell it at a third of the price.
I think it would be a little bit hypocritical of them if they were to complain.

I didn't like the layout or the cost of the KK-PCBs. Here are the layouts from Mark Finnis.
As previously discussed, I modified the main boards for my build, that layout is already in this thread.

These are the ORIGINAL Mark Finnis boards.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sure will do.

It's going to take a little while as I've got to sort out the mounting arrangements and how to solder the devices from the wrong side of the board.

It should be fairly straightforward to mount the MOS-FETs on the heatsink spreader with their legs bent skywards, fit the PCB and then bend the legs to mark where they need to be soldered. I feel much swearing coming along.

tanh1973, check the link i've posted earlier, especially the last couple of posts. The master gave his blessings.
Thr pcb's are still expensive methinks, but the price is strongly linked to the number of boards ordered...

Go to the order page of DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Brian is a forum member.

They have been selling inexpensive Aleph boards for years, and you can build any Aleph you want with them. There is no need to reinvent them unless you just enjoy making your own boards.

Best, Bill

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Go to the order page of DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Brian is a forum member.

They have been selling inexpensive Aleph boards for years, and you can build any Aleph you want with them. There is no need to reinvent them unless you just enjoy making your own boards.

Best, Bill

Bill, to build these "larger" alephs, do I just add more output boards, i.e. order more boards, or is there a different way to add the extra mosfets? This is what I had in mind, and have ordered the boards from Chip amps.

Thanks,

Russellc

If they come with sufficient information to vary the design then they are a very good price.

Higher power Alephs simply multiply the number of output devices so you just keep adding output boards.

My Aleph 4 is the highest power true Class A at the moment at 100W and uses 24 x IRPF244s in total for two channels.

Purists will argue that above this power Class A/B is probably the better choice. The majority of High Power High End amplifiers that I have looked at start in Class A and change to A/B at higher volume.

I'm currently running a DIY-GENE A700 which is supposed to be a clone of a Mark Levinson, which ML I have no idea. This one is biassed at 1.5A with +/- 65V PSU rails, so it runs as a Class A at low volume but alters to Class A/B at about 17W.

This one cooked its output devices on one channel so I've reduced the bias to 1.0A.

Bill, to build these "larger" alephs, do I just add more output boards, i.e. order more boards, or is there a different way to add the extra mosfets? This is what I had in mind, and have ordered the boards from Chip amps.

Thanks,

Russellc

There is a little more to it than adding output fets but that is the basics. I would suggest buying a few sets, building a mini to get familiar with the Aleph circuitry, then plan your big one with help from the forum. You can do 90 watts into 4 ohms with the Aleph 5. You can do 60 into 8 ohms with the Aleph 60. You can use jfets in the front end if you like, the options are almost limitless.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.