Aleph 4 Strickly DIY Project Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andy,
Very interesting realisation.post us pictures of your progress.
I want to make the pcb.
Can you give the exact size of the main card to print.
another question.
How the A700 ring?

TBPO my Control PCBs were a bit on the large size and the transistors had to be opened up to fit their larger footprint.

The best thing to do is to save the PCB image and then use MICROSOFT WORD to print the image. It's an easy job to resize it until the spacing for the component leads is correct. Once correct just print it onto Acetate sheet and you are ready to go.

A lick of paint and she's almost done.

It's amazing what a lick of paint can do.

Just the final Black to go. And of course a lid.

Attachments

• DSIR0170.JPG
    DSIR0170.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 306
I'm not sure if it is me or the amp.

The Aleph 4 is certainly a very BRIGHT amplifier. So BRIGHT in fact that I feel that I am hearing a lot more sibilance that I ever heard on my A700.

I'm currently listening to QUEEN and Freddy certainly has more TZZZZ than I am used to.

CHER was equally sibilant.

Maybe the amp needs dulling a bit with the very bright B&W 683s ?

How else would you suggest mounting them. They were supplied as coils of wire with no mounting arrangements.

I could "pot" them with a steel nut and then bolt them to the bottom of the chassis.

There isn't enough "Real Estate" to lie them down.

Suggestions are always welcome to improve the project.

The big washers by the way are plastic. I appreciate that the steel bolts will become magnetised in time, especially with 2.4A passing through quite a few turns of coils.

Last edited:
Hello from Downunder!

I would hesitate calling an Aleph amp bright, and I have built quite a few. I have very ruthless Seas Thors and sibilance has never been a problem. I would be looking elsewhere for the problem.

Best, Bill

Good God ... I logged-on today having been invited to this thread and was informed I last logged-on in May 2009 !!!!!!

I would agree with Bill - I too have built a few of these and it is not an over-bright amp ... quite "warm" if anything. You may have some short/damage/unseen issue if this is really the case ... and alas, it may be bloody hard to find.

Is it the same on both channels, listening to same source mono mode?

If you can get a CRO and signal generator square-wave responses might give you a hint of underlying mischief.

If your only weapon is a cheapo MM, then start at point 'a' on the circuit diag and compare R<>L channels looking for disparity all the way to the end.

You may have damaged more than you realised in the recent misadventure.

Cheers,
Mark

PS: Love the hardware ... now that's an amplifier ...

It might look tight in its confinement but the fins on all sides have clear ventillation and heat is not a problem.

If the Chokes have become magnetised could that be the problem in the CLCC configuration.

Nelson doesn't use them, I might just try running the same CCC configuration that I did with the A700. It worked fine with that amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.