New Nelson Build dubbed the Arch Nemesis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lundahl did EI's ?

Footprint of the OPT looks like a Sowter, right bottom corner, hope Jan doesn't mind to posting the pic.

Attachments

• nemesis inside.jpg
    nemesis inside.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 862
Just got my copy.

It sounds absolutely fantastic!

The nouns are rich and full without being too warm. It's well extended in both the verbs and adverbs. Conjunctions are silky smooth, much as you'd find in a tube SET amp.

If I had any nit to pick it would be that it's just a tad light in the preposition department, but then personally I prefer my prepositions a bit on the heavy side so this may not be a problem for most.

All in all I'd have to say it's worth every last word.

se
Now that is the best review I've read in years! PS. Uhh... what about the font?

PS. I finally figured out how to order my copy, paypal wanted my nine-digit zip code. Guess they want to know EXACTLY where I live.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Oh Yeah, the musical family that went on a global tour, got hooked on drugs and alcohol, and flushed down the sewer.
Shirley went to rehab, Keith lost his nose and became a convicted pedofiliac, Laurie ended up with a sect in Guyana.
(those episodes stayed on the shelf when the show was cancelled, afair)

Judging by the pictures of the Nemesis on Jan's home page, the transformer he used is not a Tango.
Looks more like a one-off, only Jantheman can tell.
A substitute for the JP original would be in the $300 to $400 each range. (original is an FG50S, replacement could be a 65 Ohm primary Sowter SE14)

My transformers were original Nemesis as sold at the time by La Maison de L'Audiophile in Paris. AFAIK they were custom made when orders came in, largely handmade and the labelling at the terminals is also hand written.
It's a very heavy E-I core with of course an air gap which is required when you run DC through the primary. That airgap decreases L so you need more core and copper to bring L back up, that's why the thing get's pretty big and heavy for a 6-8W SESS.

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ZM, for us staring from behind an Iron curtain, there must be someone locally who can wind such a tranny?

I think a good transformer guy should be able to do the design, based on the following:

- power handling 10-12 W
- turns ratio sqr root of (64/8) for prim 64 ohms, sec 8 ohms
- DC quiescent current about 1.3A
- lower freq resp say -3dB at 20 Hz, high freq response say -3dB at 20kHz.

jan

under the pier.

The panoramic view from under a bridge isn't half bad, you know.
And the trash container is one fine portable academic library, just the limited 1/2 burger menu of Mc Dump is a trifle dissapointing.

My tropical retirement fantasy : Rotterdam > Willem Egmondstraat luchtfoto's / foto's | Nederland-in-beeld.nl
Former radar post, owned by an architecture professor (includes the 11 parking spaces at the front and the dock).
She withdrew it from active sale when the real estate bubble popped and put it up for corporate rent, instead of dropping the asking price.
Leased by a company in fire fight equipment for $90k/yr since februari last, so it's back to the SQ1 cardboard box.

If you Rust curtain lot can locate decent 64 Ohm OPT's for Nada, i'm game.
(i'm not deeply into DAC tech, but kinda miss the old Pat-re Di Gi bub overhere.)

Attachments

• WE1-side.jpg
    WE1-side.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
based on the following:

- power handling 10-12 W
- DC quiescent current about 1.3A
- lower freq resp say -3dB at 20 Hz, high freq response say -3dB at 20kHz.

Me and my day dreaming again, what about : - turns ratio sqr root of (64/120) for prim 64 ohms, sec 120 ohms ?

I'm already Coco(a) nuts, so all it takes is a few bananas, a fake palm tree and sun shades.
For the real tropic deal : an ex-rodeo banker estate on special at the west coast of Antigua, Burma road.
Smack right at the end of the airport old runway, 17º08'30" N, 61º46'23" W.
(may require some security suits for potential Stankford vigilantes though)

Duh=>

Attachments

• WE1 Front.jpg
    WE1 Front.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 788
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think the point is not particularly superiority, but that each
is different.

:cool:

agree ;

my bad that I didn't explain further what I meant with "@ Vix" :

considering that I know where he's living and how possible is to him to find/make/scavenge SE OPT , I replied what I replied ......

in any case - who is here bigger/louder proponent of shunt regs and iron (and all other things insane ) everywhere , than I am ..... ?

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.