B5 caught in the wild :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not like real manuals. I prefer the usual Nelson's ones, which use to publish the schematic. When is it expected to be published?

Regards,
Regi

Hello regiregi22, You won't see an official schematic for the B5 for a while, at least until production has ceased. Due to poor behavior of some in the world, when Papa was kind enough to publish a schematic for "private" use, there have been some who have gone and made clones of the design. They then sold these for a profit. Not in the spirit Nelson Pass was intending. Therefore, he has stated that if a product is still in active production, he won't release a schematic. Understandable if you ask me.

Peace,

Dave

If you are refering to rock music, yes they can. They have a very fast feel to them.
There are different drivers that might be better for one form of music over another, but the 12" driver I heard was great for rock.

The whole concept sound very interesting. I like fast sounding, transparent equipment whatever it is. I'm curious how the B5 compares with a good DSP based crossover.

LABJr,
I have a couple of Eminence Definemax LO15 and Alpha-15's you can borrow if you want.
I should be getting some AE Dipole15's at some point soon.
You just have to decide what full ranger you want to go with.

Thanks Tea-Bag. I will keep that in mind if I ever finish my F5. The boards are ready to go. I'm waiting on my friend, the machinist, to help finish the enclosure. I may have to find an alternative.

Hello regiregi22, You won't see an official schematic for the B5 for a while, at least until production has ceased. Due to poor behavior of some in the world, when Papa was kind enough to publish a schematic for "private" use, there have been some who have gone and made clones of the design. They then sold these for a profit. Not in the spirit Nelson Pass was intending. Therefore, he has stated that if a product is still in active production, he won't release a schematic. Understandable if you ask me.

Peace,

Dave
Seems pretty reasonable. I will then wait to the diy component of the thing comes, that's why us follow Nelson's great inventions :sing:

A question about the bass EQ:
From the manual "... simple discrete Jfet circuits operated in single-ended Class A
without negative feedback. (The exception is the bass equalization circuit which requires
some feedback to get the curve needed)."
Has anyone an idea what type of circuit is used for the bass EQ ?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that's question for Mithrandir

though - it's usually inverting OP stage , as I learn ages ago , from Elector articles (remember small boxes , forcing bass driver to 1m excursion ? :clown: )

Attachments

• Mithrandir and Woodie.jpg
    Mithrandir and Woodie.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 290
Well no. Usually this would be a Sallen and Key high pass with a Q of about 2. This can be implemented with an opamp (but I am pretty sure Nelson didn't use one), but it would be wired as an unity gain buffer ( not inverting) anyway. So why is the "B1 type" buffer not feasible here ?

Zen Mod, I know this document, it's a shelving filter and serves a similar purpose but it's not like the high pass filter used in the B5. Take a look at page 4 in the B5 manual:
"You see that it provides a 6 dB bump at 20 Hz and filters out subsonics".

The filter in the B5 is actually like the filter one would use for a B6 alignment.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.