Power supply connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my Aleph-JX I use per channel two transformers (Amplimo 2x18V) and four recifier bridges.

power.jpg

First I wanted to parrallel the secondaries as within this picture;

Amplimo_parrallel.JPG

But then I saw the following schematic of a pass labs power supply;

passlabs_supply.JPG

I haven't seen this way of connecting before and I don't understand it well. Do the phases of the secondaries need to be out of phase with each other or is this possible with just any kind of transformer?

I see a short from T2 secondary terminal 0 the CT connection between T2 and T3 to the Neutral line, to the negative terminal of BR3, through the lower left diode to T2 terminal A. That's the easiest to see, but the 50% duty cycle short exists for all windings.

Maybe NP will chime in and set us straight.

The only way I can see it working would be reversing BR4 and disconnecting both BRs from the ground, and taking ground solely from the tied center taps. You eliminate a diode junction from the circuit, doubling the thermal capacity of the bridges. You can do the same thing using just 2 diodes for each trafo but the bridges give you a nice package to bolt to the chassis for cooling.

NP has warned in the past about using the service manuals for construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.