Nakamichi TA-3A Tuner problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I picked up a Nakamichi TA-3A a couple of months ago in very good condition. I was impressed on how nice it sounded including the tuner. While listening to the tuner, it would often go off and at first I thought it was a bad antenna connection. I made sure the connection to the antenna input was tight and at times it would work for an extended period of time without any problems. Now, it's going on and off every few minutes and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the antenna. Also, the tuner doesn't retain stations in its memory more than a day and I'm not sure what component should be changed to fix this.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Z

P.S. I tried searching the boards first, but was not able to find anything related to tuner problems.

Thanks for pointing to the Solid State forum, where "anatech" answered one of my questions regarding the memory. Here's what he said:

<<You need a new lithium battery. It is a vertical mounting type, the number is stamped on it. You will need to desolder it.

That means you have to release the tuner board and flip it over. If you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a Nakamichi warranty service shop. I'd hate to see you lose your set to incompetent service.

I think there are a couple modifications for the tuner board as well. They may be done already, or the shop should (ask) look them up and confirm this.>>

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/83787-nakamichi-sr-3a-tuner-memory.html

I also posted my question on the FM tuner yahoo group site.

Thanks for the tips. Also, I'd appreciate a copy of the schematics for the TA-3A if anyone has it.

zzvelik @ gmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.