B-1 assembly, Pass boards and PEC pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello, quick and stupid question here. I have the Pass board, and the recommended PEC 25K linear pots. They are installed upside down, so that the solder tabs stick up.

Looking at the board, each channel shows cw,ccw and w. Which hole goes to which tab? There are no markings on the PEC pot or tabs that I can see. Thanks for any help on this simple question. Now for a really stupid question. What does cw,ccw and w stand for? Only thing I can think of is clockwise, counter clockwise, and whatever w stands for. There.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wiper. The connection to the moving contact :D

Gottcha. Thanks for the hyper fast answer! You wont believe how long I thought about it before I asked this question and exposed my total ignorance on the world wide web.:clown: Can you tell me which is the wiper? I assume the one (usually center) that varies as the pot is turned? If so, does it matter which the other 2 are connected to as long as both pots are wired the same, or it isnt that simple?

Russellc

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Gottcha. Thanks for the hyper fast answer! You wont believe how long I thought about it before I asked this question and exposed my total ignorance on the world wide web.:clown: Can you tell me which is the wiper? I assume the one (usually center) that varies as the pot is turned? If so, does it matter which the other 2 are connected to as long as both pots are wired the same, or it isnt that simple?

Russellc

here is a pic of the wiring.

Attachments

• DSCN3785small.JPG
    DSCN3785small.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 669
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding PEC pots I have heard that they do not match chanels levels
have you think of using ladder types pots

With two pots, how can they not? Well as long as you adjust one channel or the other to match. I'll set them where the volume is nice for listening, match the levels, then loosen the set screws and move the knobs to the straight up position. If I want it a little louder, turn them a little up, if quieter levels are called for, turn them down a little.

Eventually I will try different potds here, something a little more refined, but for now, the Pass specified PEC pots are being used. Hard to go wrong a 10 bucks a pop! ( At least price-wise anyway ).

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Very nice!!!

What case is that???

This case was made by member Westend, who had offered his services and does so fairly. The side are aluminum extrusions cut to length, driilled and tapped for the front and rear panels, which are 1/8 inch aluminum, 6061 I believe. The top and bottom are drilled and srewed into the little thresded devices that are in the top and bottom tracks of the extrusion.

Contact Westend for details,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This case was made by member Westend, who had offered his services and does so fairly. The side are aluminum extrusions cut to length, driilled and tapped for the front and rear panels, which are 1/8 inch aluminum, 6061 I believe. The top and bottom are drilled and srewed into the little threaded devices that are in the top and bottom tracks of the extrusion.

Contact Westend for details,

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.