Pass ONO or XONO PCB???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi gotoma8;
Ralph Stens is at DIY Audio Projects .His site is in both German & English. My build using his boards is sitting powered up on the dining room table waiting for final adjustments. I hope to be listening to it over the weekend.
Regards
Keith

Hi Keith; It has been a couple of months since you powered up your Ralph Sten Xono, so how does it sound? Hopefully you haven’t burned a hole in your table. I only ask as I plan to try one of his boards.
Cheers; Glenn

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Keith; It has been a couple of months since you powered up your Ralph Sten Xono, so how does it sound? Hopefully you haven’t burned a hole in your table. I only ask as I plan to try one of his boards.
Cheers; Glenn

I am more than satisfied; it just keeps sounding better and better! The Xono is a big improvement over the JLH phono I was previously using.I did not use the onboard 317 regulators opting for VBE boards from Avondale Audio here in the UK although I believe Woodturnerfran has built one and used Sala's shunt regs[DCB1].I am currently using it single ended. I've yet to try balanced output.
Build one you will not be dissapointed and Ralph Stens pcb's are excellent quality.

Keith

Hi,

I support Marra's suggestion for using the boards from Ralph. They are very nice, sond good and give you very good options for experimenting with the output coupling caps as well as not using them at all. His explanations and instructions are good as well.

piccie of my build using them below, almost there...

regards
joris

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 1,845
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

I support Marra's suggestion for using the boards from Ralph. They are very nice, sond good and give you very good options for experimenting with the output coupling caps as well as not using them at all. His explanations and instructions are good as well.

piccie of my build using them below, almost there...

regards
joris

Hi Joris; are those Blackgates on the output of yours? Did you try to adjust and take them out? I could never get a stable low reading so I left my Wima's in place.

Keith

Hi Keith,

yes those are black gates, pk series. it's what i had in stock and for now it suffices (they are quite nice actually). Adjustment worked just fine for me but i have not experimented with it yet. To get stable offset i'd suggest linking the output fet's thermally. just use some aluminum or copper sheet and isolate electrically like you would in a power output stage. that should help. same thing goes for the 9110d's (i think) in the inverted stage.

I did match everything including the output fet's for vgs btw.

regards,
Joris

I decided to follow Ralph's schematics to build a Xono, but I'm basically doing it p2p since I'm cheap. I just finished one channel and nothing's working. I'm getting .300v across R53, but I get 1.1v across r67. I can't get any voltage across R28. The LED I'm using is from Radioshack, 2v 20ma. I get 1.7v across it.I must have miswired something, but I checked everything over several times. Any ideas what to check?

Do'h, found the problem 30 seconds after I posted. Forgot to connect a leg of Q6. It's making music now.

edit: And now I've killed it again. Something started smelling after about 10 minutes, now the board is pretty much dead. The LED still comes on but I don't get that "thump" on the output I was getting before

Last edited:
I'm getting quite a bit of buzzing

The Ono uses a cap-multiplier to filter the frontend voltage and the 2nd stage isn't that sensitive to power supply noise.

Also, depending on your make of the SMPS its noise should be outside of the audible range (40kHz or so).

So it might be worth to have a look at the grounding scheme first.

Hannes

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Took the top off my Xono built with Ralf Stens pcb's to check the bias setting. I reset to 0.35v it had drifted a bit; when I checked the dc offset it was fluctuating wildly; +- 100mv plus on both sides of the 10uf output caps and could not be adjusted much with the trimmers. Is this something to be concered about? Any advice/pointers as to what to check would be much appreciated. TIA.

Also, depending on your make of the SMPS its noise should be outside of the audible range (40kHz or so).

So it might be worth to have a look at the grounding scheme first.

Hannes

You're right. I used a star grounding configuration and the buzz went away completely.

Behold the world's ugliest phono stage:
attachment.php

I've only completed one channel so far, MM only without the balanced part since I don't need it. For the chassis I used a steel case used to transport backup tapes. I'm going to drill holes for power and the RCA connectors over the weekend. It's bisected down the middle, I'm putting the unregulated power supply on one side and the xono boards and regulators on the other. The power supplies are two 400ma 48 volt SMPS's per channel. I have a ton of these laying around. I'll add another two for the second channel, and later when I build the MC stage I'll add a seperate SMPS and regulator for those as well. Ultimately I'm going to use Salas shunt regulators, but for now I'm just using LM317's to regulate down to +/- 30v.

One channel is only pulling about 30ma at 30 volts, so I have voltage and current to spare. Would it be worthwhile to use a capacitor or CRC network between the SMPS and the regulator to smooth out and stiffen the power supply?

Attachments

• IMG00380-20110311-1631.jpg
    IMG00380-20110311-1631.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 976
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.