Pass ONO or XONO PCB???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting 3.44 across R4 and The output side of Q5 is as follows:

bad channel:
D:14.6v
G: 0.06v
S: 0.25v

Good channel:

D: 14.7v
G: 0.06v
S: .025v

I'm using two 2sk170's for Q5, and I just realised that I wired them so that they're facing eachother. Does that mean one of them is backwards? Is the 2sk170 symmetrical? Otherwise I have one in backwards. And now I'm not sure which channel is good or bad. I'm not hearing distortion on the "bad" channel anymore. Both channels are basically the same, one is just twice as loud as the other. Which one is right? It looks like the Xono and my current Cambridge Audio 640p have roughly the same gain for MM, so I guess I'll just see which channel is closer in volume to the 640p. Or at least I will once I have a cartridge with a needle on it.

Also, I replaced Q6 yesterday. My $5 multimeter said the hFE was 579

Another also, I've been using "two for the show" by Kansas as my test record for all of this, and I've probably heard Dust in the Wind (or at least one channel of it) about 100 times. I never want to hear this song again.

Last edited:
pass xono

Hi there! I don"t know if I have te make a new post, but thought I can follow this one because its about the xono.
I have the Ralph Stens boards and they look fantastic, but got on one board good gain with back ground humming and on the other clean gain but to soft.

Anyone here can answer me this problem.

On the board with the good gain I have at the output around 47mv jumping down between 25 and 60mv on the lower gain board I have between 0 and 10mv. Could it be a grounding problem? I don't use the xlr's output but got the minus from the board output on the minus from the xlr connection, then coupled to the gnd from the rca.

Can I adjust the gain on the boards with only the blue jumper switches or is there an other place on the board to adjust?

Thanks for the answer. Teake

The original Ono offered gain reduction by inserting jumpers in 1-2 places; unless you put them in, there is no switchable way to affect gain signficantly as long as the circuit itself is working properly.

If you get significantly lower gain in one channel, then that sounds more like a problem of the circuit to me. The Ono has a rather sensitive frontend that works only for low current jfets (GR and lowish BL).

Hannes

xono

Hi there!
I can't get my xono fixed! I checked the solder joints and measured the checkpoints. Still only one board is working with hum (hum getting louder opening the volumepot of my pre), the other board still getting sound (also with the same hum) but with the volumepot at more than half open. At that board I got 370mv on R47. So is it possible that Q12 isn't working? Thanks for the answer. Grtz Teake

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Teake; probably a stupid question but have you contacted Ralph Stens directly? He helped me sort out my problems on my Xono using his boards.Unfortunately I can't offer advise as my electronics knowledge is rather limited and the problem was different to yours.

I used boards from DRAGAN, Serbia. Verry good quality and support.
Dirk

Attachments

• MAIN_XONO_01.JPG
    MAIN_XONO_01.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 423
  • NT_XONO_01.JPG
    NT_XONO_01.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 415
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.