F2 and F5 heat question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all and good morning!!!

I want to build either an F2 or F5 amp(s) for developing future pieces..

I have a few very wild designs, but want to know how much I can get away with with heat dissipation.. I strive for best practices, but want to know how far I can push the envelope..

Well, there a few problems with your question.

First, the amount of heat sinking is, in part, determined by where you set the bias (the higher, the hotter). You may find diminishing rewards with further increases in bias. This is your call, since someone elses preference will be different then yours.

Second, the heat sinking can be more efficient (perhaps considerably more) if a fan is used. Use of a fan has its pros and cons.

Third, the amount of required heat sinking is discussed extensively in the F5 threads. The thread(s) is losing its usefulness because of the amount of off-topic discussion, but careful use of the search function can help.

Fourth, and this is most important, you need to read the F5 owner's manual. It has been posted and there is a clear description of the heat sinking requirements. No one is going to summarize it for you, you need to read it yourself.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Go to Radio Shack and spend $30 on one of their cute little
infra-red temperature measurement thingies. It's great for
looking at transistors and heat sinks - set it for Centigrade.

When it shows your transistor case at 100 deg C, it's too hot.

:cool:

Attachments

• HeadUpAssDriver-707597.jpg
    HeadUpAssDriver-707597.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 319
Thanks everybody for all the responses.... even Jacco :p

here is a very crappy and rough drawing of what I want to create..

I call it the Sentinel

There will be 2 of these... both will stand about 3 feet tall, you'll be able to see the boards, power supplies etc, as they will be behind etched plexiglass.. The heatsink will be on the backside of the housing..

The majority of it will be painted along with exotic metal laminate inlays here and there..

scan0002.jpg

Easy peasy lemon squeezy....if you know how to sand cast, weld, and/or machine aluminum.
If not, then your Sentinel head will have to become quite large, your design indicates an underestimation of the heat sink requirement.

I can do the later of the 2.. so not a big deal.. looking at a 12 x 10 inch heatsink on the backside and two , 2 inch holes per side "not shown in the drawing" to let addition air movement ... so I am hoping that that will be suffice

I had never built any electronics when I started my F5 and it only took a few days and worked the first time I fired it up. It's not super hard. Just make sure you triple check everything!

The Sentinel drawing is a bit vague. I don't know exactly what you have in mind for materials but you might consider using aluminum for the 'neck' and mounting or coupling your transistors to that piece. You'd eliminate the need for massive heat sinks on the 'head'. Getting a solid piece of aluminum in that shape might be a bit of a challenge, both financially and physically.

I had never built any electronics when I started my F5 and it only took a few days and worked the first time I fired it up. It's not super hard. Just make sure you triple check everything!

The Sentinel drawing is a bit vague. I don't know exactly what you have in mind for materials but you might consider using aluminum for the 'neck' and mounting or coupling your transistors to that piece. You'd eliminate the need for massive heat sinks on the 'head'. Getting a solid piece of aluminum in that shape might be a bit of a challenge, both financially and physically.

thanks brian, i can mill the aluminum on my router table with little effort.. all i have to do is make a jig out of acrylic and transfer it to some 6061t... i have done it for a long time... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.