F2 Zen Type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

What can you guys (gals) tell me about this F2 Zen type amp? I purchased this from an individual who makes many types of Fx amps and chip amps. I'm just looking for comments about the tranny quality, caps, and any other info concerning quality or upgrading potential.

Thanks

Spiro

Attachments

• DSCF0465.JPG
    DSCF0465.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCF0463.JPG
    DSCF0463.JPG
    571.3 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCF0455.JPG
    DSCF0455.JPG
    554.1 KB · Views: 508
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why so impatient?

Well, anyway, here are my rather harsh comments:

Starting with the transformer...it doesn't look too big. 130VA seems pretty low. Toroidals are usually preferred due to their lower stray field.
The PSU's caps are standard Nichicon. Can't say anything about the resistors, at least the power rating should be okay.

The wiring is really bad, inputs in parallel, small diameter all over, nothing properly twisted or shielded and crossing at arbitrary angles. And whats with the cut wire (green-yellow) coming from the PSU board?

Is there even an earth connection? It looks like the chassis is floating. If this is the case it's very dangerous as this constitutes a shock hazard. I also don't see a fuse. This and the bare contacts on the transformer's primary make this amp a deathtrap. You seriously have to fix this if you want to use this amp. I wouldn't plug it in before these problems are solved.

The soldering looks looks sloppy, no trimming of excessive leads, no love.

Who builds something like this?

Why so impatient?

Starting with the transformer...it doesn't look too big. 130VA seems pretty low. Toroidals are usually preferred due to their lower stray field.
The PSU's caps are standard Nichicon. Can't say anything about the resistors, at least the power rating should be okay.

The wiring is really bad, inputs in parallel, small diameter all over, nothing properly twisted or shielded and crossing at arbitrary angles. And whats with the cut wire (green-yellow) coming from the PSU board?

Is there even an earth connection? It looks like the chassis is floating. If this is the case it's very dangerous as this constitutes a shock hazard. I also don't see a fuse. This and the bare contacts on the transformer's primary make this amp a deathtrap. You seriously have to fix this if you want to use this amp. I wouldn't plug it in before these problems are solved.

I'm not impatient....

<bumP>

Why so impatient?

Dang...give me tips then. I'm here to learn from the masters.

And no...I'm not going to :smash: it in the head. Yet.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Zen Mod...can I use a laser temp reading gun to take the temp?

I have doubts that your palm will have greater resolution :rofl:

anyway - looking at this schematic - can you spot some differences ?

working voltage etc ?

in any case - be sure that case is grounded on safety gnd - it's sorta unclear from pictures

Attachments

• f2r1 sch[1].jpg
    f2r1 sch[1].jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 221
I have doubts that your palm will have greater resolution :rofl:

anyway - looking at this schematic - can you spot some differences ?

working voltage etc ?

in any case - be sure that case is grounded on safety gnd - it's sorta unclear from pictures

palm...LOL....

Listen...didnt anyone tell you that I'm a complete NOOB? I'll look at the schematic...but don't expect me to not fall into a trance while doing so. I'm not sure about the grounding either...but I will check. HELL, should I take the thing apart? Out of the case???

Spiro

Not too good. Highs are distorted, bass is loose...mids suprisingly are ok.

Not a NP worthy device...this is what I feel like after listening to it:fight:

WHAT TOOK YOU GUYS SO LONG...jeez...

Anything I can do to improve it?

Nelson,

I have an update...

I hooked the amp to my audio nirvana speakers and my impression are much better. I didnt want to carry the speakers from the workshop to the house. Those DIY cabinets weigh 80 pounds! I had it hooked to my Thiels before...yea, i know...I'm a putz. Not a good combo. The overall signature improved DRAMATICALLY. I kinda forgot that this little sucker needs efficient speakers. No wonder it sounded horrible...it must have been clipping the whole time! :eek:

Please excuse my ignorance. I'M LEARNING DAMNIT!

Last edited:
go to FIRST WATT HOME , and download every pdf file you can find

read ....... then come back in a month or two

maybe then you'll know something more so we can fix what's broken in first place ( with beancounter's choice of crucial parts )

;)

Trust me I have been reading allot. The problem that I have with my brain is that...it has to click. Once it clicks...I'm good to go. No clicking yet. It gets aggravating honestly.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.