400A VU meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 400A which I bought new in 1980. It has been in regular use since then. Recently one LED in the peak meter display stopped working. I searched this forum and it seems that the fault is with the LED or capacitor which has dried out. Can anyone tell me what the proper replacements are so i can preorder them. I swear I remember seeing a hand drawn schematic for these meters here but I can't find it. If anyone can point me to it I would appreciate it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
is that this schmtc ?

which LED stopped working ?

anyway - as I see it - it's either cold solder joint , or dead OP section , or dead LED itself

in any case - easy to repair

check conductivity of LED with diode test on your DVM ; if not -

check for cold solder joints with magnifier or just reflow all suspicious ones ; if not -

replace adequate OP

Attachments

• led-disp.jpg
    led-disp.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
400A meter

No Zen, thats not the one. My amp has 2 rows of LED's per channel labelled Peak and Average. The -15 LED is not working on the right channel Peak meter. The - 15 on the average meter ladder is fine. The LED seemed to fail after not using the amp for a month or so. That and the age of the amp are why I thought it might be a cap. I can check the LED and reflow the solder joints but it would be really nice to have the proper replacement LED on hand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.