Has anyone ever build a 50W SOZ ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2002, 01:05 PM   #1
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Has anyone ever build a 50W SOZ ?

Hi all,

I` m Ralf.
I pan to increase my 18Watt SOZ to fully 50 Watts.
Is there anyone out there, who has done this?

Regards,

Ralf
Old 1st January 2002, 02:57 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think grollins on this forum has. I'm surprised he hasn't answered by now.
Just wait. He will come.
Grey, are you there?
p.s. You'd have to be crazy to build one of these. Grey's is water-cooled.
Old 1st January 2002, 03:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

(In your imagination you hear <i>heavy</i> footfalls, not unlike those of a T. Rex or perhaps a balrog...)
I am here.
Nah, the SOZ I've got here next to me is a dinky little thing. It's so small it's still air-cooled (you know it can't be serious if it's air-cooled). The water-cooling hookups are for the Aleph; hope to break down the plumbing and get the second pair of Alephs installed this afternoon, assuming that family-types will go so far as to leave me in peace for an hour. (Unlikely.)
I believe someone on the site has a SOZ that size, but I can't remember who, offhand.
The intent of my piddlings was to keep the heat dissipation down, hence the current sources (see thread--for that matter, the water-cooling thing has its own thread, too). There will be, as time permits, more variations on that theme, including a cool one I thought up last week where you take two...oh, never mind, you probably wouldn't be interested...

Grey

P.S.: Crazy? Moi???
Hot diggity dawg! I like bein' crazy. Much better than the alternative--at least it's more fun.
Old 1st January 2002, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Don't misunderstand me, bein' crazy's not a bad thing.
Well, not always bad anyway.
Old 1st January 2002, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
One day a guy got a flat tire and pulled his car over next to a sanitarium. At a window, a "client" sat and watched.

While changing the tire, the driver inadvertantly knocked ALL the lug nuts into a gutter. The man, not knowing he was being watched, screamed out loud, "Oh no! What am I going to do now!"

From the windows, the second man said, Mr. why don't you take one lug from each tire and use them for the spare?

The man at the curb said, "That's a good idea, but I thought you are crazy?"

And from the window the man replied,

" I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid."
Old 1st January 2002, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Or, as stated to Long John Baldry on his return from the asylum,
"Don't worry John, there's more out than in."
Old 1st January 2002, 08:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

i wish to say i am not crazy, when i wish to build a 50Watt SOZ.

When there is anybody, hwo gives me an schematic of an amp which is better, has more power, and cost a quater- i would be the leastest, who would not decide to buid this other one.

To say it correctly: i`ve build a SOZ with about 20 watts with, each 1500watts transformers and 400000uf Capacitors and realy big heatsinks and wanted to connect them dorectly to my CD Player, to save the parts for a preamp, because the best preamp is no preamp. But the output Power is too small. Now i try to integrate a balanced Pre in the Amp and increase the wattage of the ZEN to fully 50 Watts. I hope so to get amounts of Power.

In directly comparison to a 40 year old Leak Tube Monoblocks the sound of the ZEN is a liitle better and is equal to a pair of self build Hiraga "Le Monstre" which cost a view Euro.

But when i see a transformer as heavy as my wife my heart is beating higher. Thats also a reason, why i want to build the full 50 Watts.

Can anyone tell me if a preamp will increase the gain of the SOZ?

Ralf
Old 1st January 2002, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

...has anoyone expierience about testing diffrent resistors in the SOZ and the results in sound?

Ralf
Old 1st January 2002, 08:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ralf,
Most of the references above to being crazy are directed at me, not you. If being crazy is bad, then I'm in a heap of trouble.
As for a preamp. It wouldn't hurt. The SOZ has fairly low gain when operated with a single ended input, and doesn't balance as well as it could (not criticism of the circuit--it's a marvel for simplicity vs. performance). I've got about five or six things planned for the SOZ w/current source thread. One of the things I'll be doing is to add the BOSOZ preamp to the SOZ amp as a permanently installed front end, most likely with current sources under the Sources so as to make it easier to use single-ended inputs. There are a few minor adjustments you can do to make this a more graceful project...or you can simply build a separate BOSOZ. Your choice.

Grey
Old 1st January 2002, 08:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Grey,

When i read your answer -and - my english is far from being good, i think it will bring me gain, when i use a BOSOZ and put it into the same case as the SOZ.

How does a BOSOZ infuate the sound? can one hear, that an additional amp is there?

Are there any links to get information of building a water cooling for the amp?

Regards,

Ralf

Hide this!Advertise here!