B1 buffer w/out volume controls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone build a B1 buffer with no volume pots, simple input/output on rear of enclosure like the Burson Buffer?

Why?... well, I already use a Goldpoint/Elma mini-v stepped attenuator that sounds very good with my amp and cdp. Would like the option to plug into the buffer, or not.

Bad idea...? Since my stepped attenuator is diy, I thought about installing it in the B1 but would prefer to leave it intact.

Any ideas or advice? Let it fly! :eek:

Anyone build a B1 buffer with no volume pots, simple input/output on rear of enclosure like the Burson Buffer?

Why?... well, I already use a Goldpoint/Elma mini-v stepped attenuator that sounds very good with my amp and cdp. Would like the option to plug into the buffer, or not.

Bad idea...? Since my stepped attenuator is diy, I thought about installing it in the B1 but would prefer to leave it intact.

Well, the obvious question is "what are you trying to fix"?

If your potentiometer is working fine (that is, you have conquered all the impedance difficulties and problems with "driving the cables") then there may be no reason to add a buffer.

Last edited:
Well, the obvious question is "what are you trying to fix"?
If your potentiometer is working fine (that is, you have conquered all the impedance difficulties and problems with "driving the cables") then there may be no reason to add a buffer.

I agree with you since the buffer is a passive, zero gain device, don't really know if I'd gain anything. Perhaps most people build the B1 because it's an easy build and they don't already have a quality passive that works well with their system.

Good point and thanks! :up:

Why not build one and try it if that is something you would enjoy doing? You could always use your attenuator with the B1, and then you would have a buffered output for your CD player. It could work better than your current setup, depending on the output of your CD player, and the input of your amplifier. Do you know the specs for the output stage of your CD player, and the input stage of your amplifier? You might get better responses with those figures.

-Aaron.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The B1 is so simple you could knock one up on a small piece of vero board (vector board) and temporary power it from a string of cheap disposable batteries. You don't even need to put it in a box while expeimenting. That way you outgoings would be very low indeed.

Then simply place it directly at the output of your volume control to see what difference it makes driving your interconnect cable and amp input.

: )

My passive has a pair of inputs and outputs for each channel. Doing the same on the B1, can I just wire each channel on the buffer board (in-out-gnd) to RCA's instead of the pots?

Is that clear as mud? Again, instead of wiring to a pot on each channel, wire to RCA's (in-out-gnd)

Will that work so I can plug straight out of my passive into the B1?

Roy you may get a more specific answer if you ask in the main B1 thread or builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.