F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313 - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2011, 12:52 AM   #241
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FAKES

utsource offer me $8 refund on a $67 order, $8 of it was shipping.
I got the Nikon out and I hope you can see the transistors with greater detail.
Sorry about the lighting.
Photos of the face then the back. I marked "P" & "N" on the back so you could tell which was which.
Zhou Fang's is the TO-220 on the left in all photos. I don't have any more 2SK1530/2SJ201's to compare. The 2SK1530's look like they might be Toshiba, the 2SJ201's have the sanded face like the 2SJ313's do, so I bet they are fakes.
The 2SK2013's look different than Zhou's with a ridge around the face and other noticeable differences in the case as you can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4828.JPG (785.4 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4830.JPG (777.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4829.JPG (800.1 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4831.JPG (768.4 KB, 403 views)
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:56 AM   #242
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Default More TO shots

Here are a couple of shots of one's I got from Zhou, and others are using.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd August 2011, 02:56 AM   #243
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tea, I can see the pictures of the originals. Mine from utsource are definitely fake. So what next?
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:46 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Ah, that's a very clear photo - thanks.

Sam, looks like we're all on the warpath for either replacement with genuine Toshiba parts or a refund, altho the reply that Rush received doesn't seem helpful.

Looking back on this thread, it was in May this year that both Prakit and CeeVee reported these units as tested Fakes (plus some bad 2sj74s) - Prakit received a refund, no problems, not sure about CeeVee.

Maybe it's the long delay in reporting a problem - maybe they just don't care - maybe ...

So, how do we go about the process of obtaining a satisfactory result, eh?

Well, I'll try the softly approach and just ask them for replacement with genuine Toshibas with "regrets and a bit diplomatic" and we'll see what happens -

I mean, I do still want the things, despite the bad taste of bad parts - reminds me a bit of the failed GB with the 2sk389/j109 a few years ago - a disaster for everyone.

Rush, I had a look at some of the 2sk1530s and j201s - both these matched pairs came from the GB and both types look the same - flat dull surface, faint etch/printing, three glossy dimples on the front - both look the same, apart from the numbers on them.
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:58 AM   #245
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FAKES

So James, you think they are all fakes?
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:33 AM   #246
diyAudio Member

Well, it seems that 'utsource' has got a bunch of bad k2013/313 fets and unfortunately, I encouraged a few people to get some from them and they all appear to be bad ones - i did get mine sometime last year tho.
I don't know about your j201s but it looks a bit questionable - let's not over-react here (says 'me' who rushed to check the BF862!!)
It is still quite common for even big suppliers to be caught out with bad components and we just have to get used to it these days, unfortunately.

The main thing is that the "good" companies will go out of their way to replace or reimburse customers for the bad parts - maybe "utsource" will do the same, despite their 2 month "thing" if we approach it in the right way -
We're not really big customers to them and annoying someone who is responsible for solving complaints is probably not the best way to get a "good" solution - possibly, asking for 'good' or replacement/genuine parts will fit in better with company procedures than asking for a $60 refund - dunno, we'll see.

Perhaps we can find that person who will 'take care' of our problem and then we can all send our queries to this same guy - I'm trying to think how I would fix the problem if it was my company but business procedures might have changed a bit since I was last there - A bit of patience, maybe, and perserverance.
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:43 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

I ordered from utsource about 22/23 December 2010 and received the parts a month later. Order was worth 32 USD and shipping about 30 USD. Here's a picture I took yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (87.2 KB, 220 views)
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:59 AM   #248
diyAudio Member

They look the very similar to the ones I got except the numbers/letters in those top dimples/recesses are different - maybe different stock purchase.

I sent off a bit of a suck job enquiry to "utsource" - let's see what happens.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:52 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Wait and watch!? I will also send them a mail. Thanks.

Are these devices MOSFETs at all, with smaller dyes? Are they likely to work in Vas stages, like Juma's other amp - Single transistor input, K2013/J313 Vas and L-Mosfet output?
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:56 AM   #250
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

buzzforb is trying to organize a group buy for k2013/j313 from seemingly reliable source here:
2SK2013/2SJ313 GB interest

Hide this!Advertise here!