Bride of Zen setup and suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2010, 09:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Bride of Zen setup and suggestions

Hello, I have realized a PCB oz Bride of Zen preamp. Before to connect it to my LM3886 chip amp, I ask if someone can chekup the values that I have measured. R104 is a 5W ceramic resistor but is temperature is too hot (that is normal?).
At the input, with no load, +0 V at the output I find some tension in slowly decrease (it's OK?).
I would like to connect ZEN to 100K log pot into my Gainclone amp: it's possible to do? I must put some resistor from C103 to ground (5k pot substitution).

Sorry, I speak a very bad English....

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenbrde1setup.jpg (83.3 KB, 585 views)
Old 22nd May 2010, 03:47 PM   #2
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
i think this preamp should work.but you can do some adaptations.
voltage drop at the source res (100 ohm) is 4v,so you have 40ma current trough the transistor.lower it a little bit ,down to around 3,5volt......3volt (gives 35ma.........30ma).this lowers the heat a little bit.

with a 100k pot at the output you should use short (= low capacitance) cable.or you will loose treble with a long cable.

voltage running up and down at the output: you measured it without a load(res).........or you have some (big) humming ,means wrong ground connection or something else.

the irf610 needs a heatsink.
greetings

Last edited by mjf; 22nd May 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 23rd May 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

You can also get a quality resistor in TO-220 package and mount it to a heat sink--and yes, that mosfet needs a heat sink too.
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just simmed that circuit. The drain resistor gets a little bit warm (like 1.1 watts), try mounting a heat sink to the resistor. Also, be sure to play with the pot; you can adjust the mosfet into a more favorable mode.
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another thought about the drain resistor being too hot: is the mosfet blown?
Old 24th May 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Since this thread is related to BOZ.....

in BOZ 10 zeners are used in power supply and 20V zener in preamp circuit.
What is wattage of these zener diodes ? can we use 1/2 zener without any problem?

Another things is 5K log volume control which is hard to obtain. Can we use 10K here?

thanks
Old 24th May 2010, 01:49 PM   #7
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

QUOTE=beetel
in BOZ 10 zeners are used in power supply and 20V zener in preamp circuit.
What is wattage of these zener diodes ? can we use 1/2 zener without any problem?

yes,you can use 1/2 watt zener diodes............

Another things is 5K log volume control which is hard to obtain. Can we use 10K here?

yes,i used a 10k pot (and i kept my audio cable short)...........and later on i paralelled a 10k res from pot output to ground.so it looks like a 5k pot a litte bit........
greetings

Last edited by mjf; 24th May 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 25th May 2010, 01:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks, all works!
IRF610 burned, replaced; 4 Zener burned, replaced; 5W cemtent replaced with TO220 1% resistor. Trim source to 3.1 V. Added 10K pot on the output.

Many thanks!
Old 25th May 2010, 11:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Good job!
Old 31st May 2010, 04:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Add Phono stage to Bride of Zen

I want to add a phono stage for my DUALC S503-1. I find that circuit, but after build a prototype, the sound is very bad: distorted... a kind of "saturation with electric guitar". Where is the mistake: at the circuit or at the component chosen?
Resistor are film metal 1% (only 750 K are 2 parallel resistor 1M5 carbon), 6,8 n 1,5 n ceramic disc, 1 F MKT (not polarized) and 10F (ITT FKT).
I'm tried to throw it all away!
Suggestion?
SIGH!
Attached Images
File Type: gif riaa_schematic.gif (28.0 KB, 412 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!