Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

The Pass A75 and system I built 15 years ago. Preamp is also an actie x-over. Biamp setup with the A75 driving the sats and the Carver driving the subs. Outboard DAC using BurrBrown chips...forgot which ones.

Attachments

• IMG00025-20110311-1622.jpg
    IMG00025-20110311-1622.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 2,544
  • IMG00026-20110311-1707.jpg
    IMG00026-20110311-1707.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 2,447
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I wasn't going to ask, but since NP said it was "clean wiring," wouldn't it have been even better if the transformer had been up front (mag field farther from inputs and pcb) and cap bank at the rear (closer to star ground point, pcb, and load)?

There is a reason for Nelson to make his PCBs long and thin...input is at one end, which makes it easier to layout the power wiring to avoid corrupting the input with noise from AC power.

In this case the input is always in the middle, with trafo at back or front, the rectifiers are in my perspective in the right place for this layout option.

If the trafo was at the back i would have to run 240VAC all the way to the back and wiring would be more messy and difficult.

Anyway, there are no absolutely right options, engineering is the art of compromise...someone said.

The amp is absolutely quiet as is, i hear nothing at all with my ear on the tweeter...so I'm happy.

I would have opted for NP type boards before building, theory dictates it, but practice shows that this solutions works well.
:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If the trafo was at the back i would have to run 240VAC all the way to the back and wiring would be more messy and difficult........

for mains AC there is always solution - either routing it under technical bottom of amp ( perforated one on pics ) or shielded ( as on pics with black bottom )

note that Papa is not loosing sleep about that ....... so that must be illustration of importance ( remember Migty ZM's interpretation of Papa's details - "... good enough " :rofl: )

I agree that other power routes are of more importance ....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this pic deliberately posted

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and then - shielded mains cable

this one - not shielded mains cable , but routed under technical bottom

that black central thingie is just route from static shields to sole safety gnd point on chassis

Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest :

funny one

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Poiting the way for my next build Mighty ZM ? :D

Each new amp is new adventure and a learning experience.

I'll try to make my next one better than the last...always.:cool:

Edit: I particularly like the "routing" of picture 2....

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Poiting the way for my next build Mighty ZM ? :D

naah ..... I'm just posting pictures :clown:

Each new amp is new adventure and a learning experience.

I'll try to make my next one better than the last...always.:cool:

amps are not important ;

building is .......

Attachments

• crazy.gif
    crazy.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,657
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
tnx
not mine merit .

that fishy one - entire hardware is hifish's , entire panel work of Leonardo , graphic copyleft by my Webhamster Mikorist ; all 3 nicks on Baby DiyA :clown:

mine was consulting part and handwork

other one ( darker than black monster) - similar story - consulting and handwork ( including all mistakes ) by Mighty ZM

Few weeks ago I received in the office a bunch of junk to be disposed. Most was real junk, but many things stayed.

There some pictures of the Junk F5, waiting for an inspiration for a case. The idea is to have two monoblocks, each will have two of the black ugly transformers and one heat sink. I was thinking about putting the heatsink on top. It's not ideal but it should not be so bad.
With this trasformers I get only 13 V but I think there is no limit to current. At the moment I am using Toshiba mosfet biases almost 3A.

I also pulled out a nice toroid with the following secondaries:
115 V 0.94 A
50 VCT 6.6A
45V 13.2 A

Any idea what I could do with it ?

Pictures...

I also have a couple of these monsters 3.5 KW step up transformers. I could get probably 40 V using them the wrong way.

Suggestions on how to box the monoblocks are welcome !!! Actually this is why I posted them.

Thanks,

Davide

Attachments

• P1000628.jpg
    P1000628.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,409
  • P1000630.jpg
    P1000630.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,366
  • P1000632.jpg
    P1000632.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2,254
  • P1000617.jpg
    P1000617.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,260
Now it's better, although the building is shaking while I am writing. Family had to evacuate and I have a lot of time for DIY. (Let's see the bright side)

Actually all these components were dismissed from nuclear facilities, blocks included. They are used to keep samples at constant temperature.
I've spent many days last year in the facility that is troubled. I'll probably have to go back there sooner or later.:-(

Call me Omer. Thanks for asking

Ciao,

Davide