Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 02:24 PM   #891
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Tim -

At burning amp you mentioned that the plan was to have a modular Burning Amp, where you could swap out front-ends and output stages. Is that still the plan, and have you made any other progress towards that goal? I think it's a wonderful idea.
Old 17th October 2011, 07:37 PM   #892
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Tim -

At burning amp you mentioned that the plan was to have a modular Burning Amp, where you could swap out front-ends and output stages. Is that still the plan, and have you made any other progress towards that goal? I think it's a wonderful idea.
Two different aspects to that:

Firstly, I think the Burning Amps are intended to be "composed" into different configurations: that's why there are two front ends (balanced and unbalanced), bias boards, and two back ends (BA-1 and BA-2). So the intent is that anyone can pick the configuration that makes the most sense to them, and build it. Because the board mounting points are standardized, it should be easy to re-use chassis and heatsink.

Secondly, my goal is to gradually enhance my system, preferably without throwing things away. So I have a single stereo F4, fed by BA-3, fed by a passive control unit (First Sound). Ultimately, I'm thinking of building another F4 so I can bi-amp, and replacing the First Sound with an Arduino-based volume and relay-based selector module. My long-term goal is a completely home-built, state-of-the-wallet hifi system. I already have speakers, some cables, pre and power amp. I'm keen to build a computer-based playback device, and if I can get time enough, to learn machining and make a turntable and arm.

These are of course long-term plans. I also have to get two kids through college and avoid foreclosure .

To that end, I should really be selling the gear I'm replacing: a Music Reference RM-9 and an Audio Research LS-3.

tim
Old 25th October 2011, 05:15 AM   #893
diyAudio Member

Default F5 in BA style chassis

Just started playing music today! This is my first amp for driving speakers, (all headphone amps prior to this) and it was a holy cow! moment when I first heard it.... Thanks Nelson!!! Also,,, many thanks to the community for all their contributions, you all have been a great help....
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case parts.jpg (117.7 KB, 1515 views)
File Type: jpg partial assembl.jpg (157.2 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg smoke test ready.jpg (209.4 KB, 1508 views)
File Type: jpg after a day of running.jpg (153.1 KB, 1477 views)
Old 25th October 2011, 05:19 AM   #894
NYCOne is offline NYCOne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionisio View Post
Just started playing music today! This is my first amp for driving speakers, (all headphone amps prior to this) and it was a holy cow! moment when I first heard it.... Thanks Nelson!!! Also,,, many thanks to the community for all their contributions, you all have been a great help....
Sean
Really well done.

Can you elaborate on the case construction? Supplier, tools you used vs what you had done by a shop, and cost?
Old 25th October 2011, 07:05 AM   #895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCOne View Post
Really well done.

Can you elaborate on the case construction? Supplier, tools you used vs what you had done by a shop, and cost?
Thanks NYCOne...
The sides, face plate and rear plt,, are 3/8 x6 flat bar, top and bottom covers 1/4 x8 flat bar,, rec tubes are 2x5x.125 thk. corner blocks (hold it all together) .625 square bar.. All 60-- series extruded alum... the 8 wide flatbar came from metal by the inch.com,,, all the rest came from online metals.. cost about 225.00 (just the metal) Screws, taps drill bits and other little bits came from the local hardware store...

All cuts were made using a dewalt chopsaw, using a fine finish blade (lotso teeth) light pressure and copious amounts of WD-40. the saw does a pretty good job but the cut edges need filing to look good.. I got pretty good at filing
All the holes were done on a small drill press and tapped by hand.. I also got good at tapping
I did all the work myself
hope that helps
sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutting corner blocks.jpg (131.8 KB, 1352 views)
File Type: jpg raw mockup.jpg (104.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg tapping.jpg (82.5 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg drawing.jpg (66.4 KB, 588 views)
Old 25th October 2011, 07:27 AM   #896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sean
Sean, very gooood work! I like it very much.

Best Regards,
Andrzej Sochon
Old 25th October 2011, 08:23 AM   #897
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nice work dionisio. Thats what you call real DIY.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:52 AM   #898
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
about 225.00 (just the metal)
Wowza, big spender.
Nice & clean job, matey. (love the pcb holders)
Old 25th October 2011, 11:53 AM   #899
westend is offline westend  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work, Dionsio! Can you comment on the heat dissipation? If your design handles the standard heat dissipation, future builders could save the cost of extruded heatsinks.

FWIW, I use one of these Amana non-ferrous blades for aluminum. The triple chip and negative hook angle leave a mirror fine edge.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:19 PM   #900
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Nice work, Sean.

Nice to see someone finally make that style of case.
Where did you pickup the tubing and did you use any thermo grease between the tubing and sidewalls?

Thx,

Vince

Hide this!Advertise here!