Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier - Page 223 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2013, 02:48 AM   #2221
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

As for liquid cooling of the speakers, I was thinking about just immersing them in seawater. There is plenty nearby, and the possibility of the speaker changing the temperature of that 'heatsink' is fairly remote...

And perhaps you could play some Hendrix for the propellerheads running the SOSUS nets...
Old 10th August 2013, 09:33 AM   #2222
diyAudio Member

mmmm??? seawater, salt and electronics equals,..... a painful death of your equipment??
Old 10th August 2013, 05:45 PM   #2223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
mmmm??? seawater, salt and electronics equals,..... a painful death of your equipment??
after all thats been said in the last few posts thats NOT what stands out as crazy!
:-)
Old 10th August 2013, 09:03 PM   #2224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
All,

I've read recent postings about liquid cooling of Pass DIY amps.

My next door neighbors--Wilbur and Orville Wong--recently developed a liquid helium (H3) cryostat cooling system for the F5 Turbo V3. It works at 0.365 degrees Kelvin--and thanks to superconductivity, is 132.78% efficient. Working in their garage workshop (picture shown) they developed the cooling system for $3.23 (US) using parts from a Maytag washing machine, Yugo station wagon, and a Mercury outboard motor.

The picture shows the obvious jubilation of Wilbur and Orville, right after they measured the Turbo V3's output at 3.446 KW into 0.2 ohms. Wilbur found no problem in holding Orville's hand to the heatsink for more than a minute--although Orville subsequently lost several layers of skin and suffered severe hypothermia in attempting to remove his hand afterwards.

Ohhhh..... There is something so wright about their concept, and yet something so wong in their execution.

Enjoy....... Pass DIY and Class A forever.....!
Yes but how are they at bike repair ?
Old 13th August 2013, 06:52 PM   #2225
diyAudio Member

You got me thinking about liquid cooling my F5T now.. How about lead-bismuth like an old Soviet-era submarine reactor
Old 13th August 2013, 06:59 PM   #2226
diyAudio Member

And here I thought that everyone wanted Class A without all the exotic cooling because they used it to heat their houses in the winter. Heck, I would just add a slow and low fan just for circulation and keep the chassis BIG.
Old 13th August 2013, 07:39 PM   #2227
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Sneak Peek - If my little BA-3 experiment works out as hoped, you can just pipe it into your central air ducts and heat the whole d*mn house - or get some very long speaker cables and move it around to the coldest spot in your castle !!!

As expected, please ignore what I said at post #2220 (Cal's Rule: "Never post an end date to a project"). Probably have another full week before I'm making any "cool music".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130813_142350.jpg (168.2 KB, 1278 views)
File Type: jpg 20130813_142631.jpg (137.3 KB, 1256 views)
File Type: jpg 20130813_143621.jpg (105.6 KB, 1228 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 13th August 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 13th August 2013, 08:26 PM   #2228
diyAudio Member

Goggles.. Check.
Extinguisher.. Check.
Homeowner's Insurance.. Check.

The last Class A I built was a big hit with two members of the family... me and in the winter, my cat.
Old 13th August 2013, 09:52 PM   #2229
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

BTW, The homemade PS for the BA-3 build is finished. You can see the end of the process HERE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg str13 (2).jpg (698.7 KB, 1202 views)
Old 14th August 2013, 01:56 PM   #2230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Sneak Peek - If my little BA-3 experiment works out as hoped, you can just pipe it into your central air ducts and heat the whole d*mn house - or get some very long speaker cables and move it around to the coldest spot in your castle !!!

As expected, please ignore what I said at post #2220 (Cal's Rule: "Never post an end date to a project"). Probably have another full week before I'm making any "cool music".
Just need some very long feeder hose for the heat exchanger and short speaker cable . look good.

Hide this!Advertise here!