Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finished F5T v3

Finally finished the v3.
It's exactly build according the Nelson Pass circuit except for the (better?) Toshiba MOSFETs in the output stage.
In the version 2, I biased the MOSFETs at 1,25 A @ 32V, which resulted in very hot MOSFETs. Around 70 degrees Celsius.
Now I've doubled the output devices, so half the current for each device, and used Kerafol instead of mica and goop. Also clamped the output MOSFET's and yes, now I have only 5 a 6 Celsius difference between the heatsinks and the output devices.
Kerafol 86/82 under big pressure rocks !
Heatsinks max out around 58 C with 0,225A per rail bias and the MOSFETs are around 62 C.
Can't use 2.5 A bias per rail since my T ambient is around 25C this time of year :p

I also implemented a thermal protection by glueing 75C switches on the Toshibas.
Didn't need too implement C3 and C4 for stability.

The amp is dead silent, and it sounds so great !
During the rebuild to a version 3, I constantly listened to my standard F5 ( which isn't bad!) but this v3 has definitely more body, bigger soundstage, more bass and sounds a bit more detailed and relaxed, yes.

Attached are my last pictures for this project.

Now it's time to build a set of high end speakers... suggestions are welcome...

Although I already ordered the ACA PCB's and the beautiful red chassis for a little desktop computer class A Amp ( or maybe for my son) , I must say the Aleph J pre-order PCB's in the store are tempting :D
Would like to hear how a single ended class A will sound :)

Walter

Attachments

• Thermally coupled JFETs.jpg
    Thermally coupled JFETs.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 4 output on Kerafol.jpg
    4 output on Kerafol.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Very nice inside view.jpg
    Very nice inside view.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Open chassis.jpg
    Open chassis.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,589
  • Thermal protection.jpg
    Thermal protection.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 1,604
  • Turbo-engine V3.jpg
    Turbo-engine V3.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 1,655
  • Clamping bars for the MOSFETs.jpg
    Clamping bars for the MOSFETs.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,670
  • Inside with frontpanel.jpg
    Inside with frontpanel.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Ooh, my God....jpg
    Ooh, my God....jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 934
  • finally ready.jpg
    finally ready.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 984
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is nice. I noticed you have an ebay soft start module. Does that one work well?
Thanks, yes I ordered two and they work fine! Temperature protection and softstart with a small switch possible.

Very nice where the chassis come from ?

I build it myself, see picture and earlier posts. The nice frontpanel is from Hifi2000.it

:worship::up::up::up::up:very good, nice to see a completed unit. Especially using teabags boards. Hopefully your build along with others, will help people like me along their path of building something similar.

Thanks, that's why I post so many pictures, hoping I can inspire and help others with their builds...

Walter

Attachments

• IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 1,472
Nice one Walter.

I will have exactly the same built using the Teabag boards and the Toshiba MOSFETs, also 4 pairs per channel.

What were the values of the resistors that you used, as well as the trafo specs?

I have used Panasonic T-HA 27000mF 50V caps in my Teabag PSU boards. My case will be built by me in exactly the same manner as my KSA50 clone.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice one Walter.

I will have exactly the same built using the Teabag boards and the Toshiba MOSFETs, also 4 pairs per channel.

What were the values of the resistors that you used, as well as the trafo specs?

I have used Panasonic T-HA 27000mF 50V caps in my Teabag PSU boards. My case will be built by me in exactly the same manner as my KSA50 clone.

Thanks, which resistors are you referring to?
The source resistors are 0.47 Ohm 5W Fukushima Futaba MPC74's which parallels to 0.235 Ohm 10 Watt
Other resistors in the signal path are Dale CMF55's.

Notice that I lowered R5 and R6 from the original design from 1K to 475Ohm for better biasing the Toshibas.

The trafo spec: Amplimo 2 x 625VA 2x25V 2x 12.5 Amp.
So total of 1.25KVA for two channels.

Looking forward to see pictures of your build!

Walter

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited: