Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Thanks. How do I like the sound, I love it! & it’s not yet even properly burned in. My previous amp was a Peter Daniels premium LM3875 Amplifier Kit. Which sounded great, but this F5 design is in a different league al together, as most will agree is expected. Gainclones are still great for what they, don’t get me wrong.

In the F5 It’s all there, relaxed highs and full and spacious controlled mids and lows, the F5 seems to have all the power it needs with ease (compared to my old amp anyway). My build is dead quiet and “dark”. I think due to the fact that I used quality parts with small tolerances made the bias dial-in very straightforward in the end.

Things can always be better and there is always the temptation to keep tinkering, but I’m going to give this one some time, let it burn in and learn to know it before I start changing again.

I might have over done it on the mains filtering. But I like the fact that the power on/off doesn’t give any report. Before, with my old DIY amp I used to hear interference from the mains, like the doorbell and lightswitches being turned on/off & that’s all gone now. Thanks for the warming on chocking the dynamics though, I’ll bear that in mind. (Ok, One last tinker might be to bypass that EMI filter, when I do the final bias adjust.. :) )

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
might have over done it on the mains filtering. But I like the fact that the power on/off doesn’t give any report.

A x2 type 600v poly cap across the switch might help with that, but check on it first. Be sure it's the right type of cap. Someone else might think that's a bad idea for one reason or another.

Enjoy the F5. It's a super cool amp. Still amazed at how much bass from a 25w class A amp!

That's a fine idea. Just make sure it's X2 rated, as vdi_nenna says.

(X2 is designed for use across the AC mains, it's specification is that the capacitor will always fail open if there is a failure.)

Thanks, I did order Mouser: 598-DMT6D33K-F, but it's backordered so I'm still waiting. I can't find the X2 spec you are talking about in any of the data sheets, can you recommend a partnr.?

These are X2 but much lower Voltage and higher uF, mouser: 598-158X104S

Last edited:
Here is a link to the 4th version of my liquid cooling experiments. The amp is a BA-3 with 24 output devices in SE form. Don't remember how many months ago this started - but I think we have turned the corner.:D

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,933
  • BH15.JPG
    BH15.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,916
As usual, I had to go through another 6L6 learning set to get to the information, but I think this is accurate. My meter was defaulting to DC so I got some useless and confusing readings initially.

With two 500VA transformers and the small fan/pump PS - Amps = 2.86. Mains average is 120 VAC.

Using I*V results in 343.2 W.

The CL-60s appear to be doing their job as the current starts at zero, quickly builds to ~ 2.92A and settles back to a stable 2.86.

Hope that's the info you wanted.

Last edited:
I should add the disclosure of another equipment glitch.:mad: Discovered that my IR temp gun is faulty above a certain point - particularly on reflective surfaces, so the readings in the build post are somewhere between 6 and 10 degrees low. I don't have confidence in the results from the probe I have either, so I ordered a new dual contact unit. I'll post the revised numbers as soon as I have them.

Last edited: