Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Eric...great looking amp--and a great way to introduce your daughter to the hobby....!!

Very nice, Ken! I didn't realize what type of wood you had used when I first saw your amp. Do the wood panels have any negative impact on the air flow through the sinks? This is an interesting approach to dress up the amp! I've also enjoyed the handful of amps that people have shown with sinks mounted on the inside of the chassis. Both are a little different than the norm.

Eric

Do the wood panels have any negative impact on the air flow through the sinks?

Eric--No. In fact, the wood panels are an integral part of my heatsink cooling system. I have two muffin fans on the rear panel of the amp, that flow air into the central part of the chassis. From there, the air flows under the heatsinks (machined, for that purpose), and then the air flows upwards between the heatsink fins and wood panels. The air exits at the top. As such, I have both forced air (fans) and thermal convection (from the effect of a "thermal chimney" of the fins and wood panels). Works great.

I suspect the amp would run a lot warmer without the wood panels--would ruin the desired air flow path thru the amp.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
CanAm Man's amp probably has enough excess cooling he could run a hot F5T in it with little worry - I have had the honor of seeing it in person, it's one of those DIY projects that makes you want to aspir to that level of quality and detail.

Also, the panel meters are amongst the coolest things ever. :)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finally ready!

Here are the latest pictures of my completed F5Turbo v2 with cascoding, with 2sj201/2sk1530 output MOSFETs and the diodes MUR3020W mounted on the heatsinks. I'm not a ''fraidy-cat" ;) but hey, my sourceresistors are only 0.22 Ohm...
The frontpanel is wonderful made by Andrea of hifi2000.
The MOSFETs are biased at 1.25 A each at 33.2 volts so 40 Watts each.
Total power consumption is around 350 Watt, with max temp on the heatsinks of 52.3 degrees Celsius.
I first biased it around 380 Watt put the lid on the amp and I almost had a thermal meltdown :D
Took me hundreds of hours to complete....
Hope you like the pictures...

Attachments

• Big 2sj201 and 2sk1530.jpg
    Big 2sj201 and 2sk1530.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 1,541
  • ready, making music.jpg
    ready, making music.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 955
  • nearly ready - love this pic.jpg
    nearly ready - love this pic.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 953
  • need new feets.jpg
    need new feets.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 754
  • upside down backview.jpg
    upside down backview.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 801
  • psu and case.jpg
    psu and case.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 739
  • hifi2000 front.jpg
    hifi2000 front.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,328
  • thick analog ground.jpg
    thick analog ground.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 1,406
  • in case.jpg
    in case.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 1,479
  • both channels ready.jpg
    both channels ready.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 1,502
Joined 2012
Paid Member
and some more....

Attachments

• nice too.jpg
    nice too.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 437
  • LED and powerbutton.jpg
    LED and powerbutton.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 610
  • hot - 52.3 Celsius.jpg
    hot - 52.3 Celsius.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 618
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 574
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 552
  • bit too much.jpg
    bit too much.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 501
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 535
  • backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 705
  • back nice.jpg
    back nice.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 619
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great build WaterW!

Mounting power supply including caps on heatsink just above amp board, how good is this?

It's not my idea, I saw it in the F5X thread from EUVL.
I liked it cause you have very short wires, low induction, low resistance from your PSU to your AMPboard.
And... I had almost no place left in the case, because of the big transformers. :D
Downside is the caps are getting pretty hot, around 45degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
Great build.

Finally ready!

Here are the latest pictures of my completed F5Turbo v2 with cascoding, with 2sj201/2sk1530 output MOSFETs and the diodes MUR3020W mounted on the heatsinks. I'm not a ''fraidy-cat" ;) but hey, my sourceresistors are only 0.22 Ohm...
The frontpanel is wonderful made by Andrea of hifi2000.
The MOSFETs are biased at 1.25 A each at 33.2 volts so 40 Watts each.
Total power consumption is around 350 Watt, with max temp on the heatsinks of 52.3 degrees Celsius.
I first biased it around 380 Watt put the lid on the amp and I almost had a thermal meltdown :D
Took me hundreds of hours to complete....
Hope you like the pictures...

Awesome! and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing :)