Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

F5 with cooling aggregate

Pics of an F5 project, the heatsink is rated at 0.06 Deg. C/W with the 12 V fan at full speed. Unfortunately the noise that the fan creates at full speed makes it unuseable so an Arduino controller pulses the fan motor at 25 Hz/2% duty cycle. The fin temperature of the heatsink never goes more than 10 Deg. C above ambient, and the noise created is considerably less than that made by a PC. The cooling aggregate costs less than half of what passive heatsinks cost and allows a smaller footprint.
The two PSUs are 30+ year old Farnell linear regulated, each has six 2N3055s for the series pass element, and are rated at 10 A output with a presetable voltage range of 20 - 30 V. The PSUs were rescued from a skip at my workplace, as was the silver coated PTFE insulated wire :)

The F5 is presently running with +/- 26.5 V rails and biased at 1.5 A, and it sounds better than anything I've previously heard through the old Quad 57s.

Attachments

• ClassA_1.jpg
    ClassA_1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,485
  • ClassA_2.jpg
    ClassA_2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,447
  • ClassA_3.jpg
    ClassA_3.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 2,414
Guess I should have posted my B1 here

Made out of an upside down Ikea backing tray with a birch plywood base :)

The inside shot is a little old, the case is now grounded and I added an inductor to the output of the PSU.

My ODAC sits ontop.

Attachments

• inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 991
  • outside.JPG
    outside.JPG
    721.5 KB · Views: 704
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 622
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll take this box and I'll build F5T V2, everything is ready, only the lack of 800VA toroidal which is being built in Toroidy.

Prakarn looks swell, nicely done. It does make a great combo that's for sure

bart_dood, looks great! How do you like it in combo with the ODAC?

Mine has the Amp Camp, B1, and ODAC in one case... Love it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn't want to spend much money on the case as I've spent too much on audio gear of late..The pan was $9.99 and I had spare plywood, the switcher PSU was something I got for free and some of the hardware was taken off my old ESP preamp.

I like the ODAC, its almost too small as it can flop around if the cables are disturbed.
I compared it to my old CD player which is a Sony SACD mid priced unit. The sound is crisper and less 'muddy', cleaner and more precise. The bass is also noticeable 'lighter' but I'm wondering if Sony has some kind of artificial enhancements which make it unrealistic.

I'm working on some new speakers next, smallish 2 ways with Vifa tweeters and Peerless woofers, increased sensitivity compared to my old speakers to compliment the lack of gain from the B1. My power amp is a penultimate Zen.