Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

aleph 5 with cases hi fi 2000
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

amplifier built with pieces of recovery

Bosoz prototype

Hallo Aleph-X friends,

my new Aleph-X is ready.
I needed one year to build it. The magic eye shows the temperature of the heatsinks.
I use speaker protection pcbs to control the offset of each output against ground and switch the speaker outputs to ground if their is a high offset and immediately it switches the amp completely off. There is no relais in series of the signal path.
I start with 0,6V from each output to ground. Half an hour later you can measure under 100mV
This is only possible with a special thermal offset correction.

On my homepage you find a german description of the Amp and more pictures.
Maybe someone can translate it for the forum here. I think my english is not really good.

Aleph-X - HorstWolf.de

Wow! really impressive!

How many output devices per channel did you use? What caps are those (the big fat ones ;) )

Ciao!
Do

Wow! really impressive!

How many output devices per channel did you use? What caps are those (the big fat ones ;) )

Ciao!
Do

Hello pinnocchio,

I use 8 pieces of the EPCOS Sikorel 125°C B41554 series long-life grade capacitors.
Each capacitor has 100.000µF /25V
The supply ripple is 5mV with CLC filters

An info for the other readers:
The photos you find here in post #389
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/166784-pictures-your-diy-pass-amplifier-39.html

All together I use 16 FETs in the stereo configuration
The power consumption is about 600W

Its a high current amplifier with only +-16V DC Voltage, because I use it with Martin Logan Request Electrostatic speakers. They have 1,2 Ohm @ 20 Khz
To drive this speaker with a Aleph-X is only possible with low voltage and high current. With a higher supply voltage it is not possible to get it cool enough.

regards

Horst

All together I use 16 FETs in the stereo configuration
The power consumption is about 600W

Its a high current amplifier with only +-16V DC Voltage, because I use it with Martin Logan Request Electrostatic speakers.

WOW -so your running an Aleph-X with 16VDC rails and what looks like about 18A bias setting?!? :hot: :eek: :hot:

Isn't the amp running in "voltage starved" mode at this point? I thought you needed higher rails to push bias that high...

Last edited:
WOW -so your running an Aleph-X with 16VDC rails and what looks like about 18A bias setting?!? :hot: :eek: :hot:

Isn't the amp running in "voltage starved" mode at this point? I thought you needed higher rails to push bias that high...

Eric it is a stereo amplifier, not a mono block! See my pictures at #389 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/166784-pictures-your-diy-pass-amplifier-39.html
So you have to calculate it with 16V Rail voltage x4
Additional there a losses over the coils of the CLC filters and over the rectifiers.
Because this you have to calculate 16V (Rail voltage) + 1,5V (softrecovery rectifier losses) + 1V (Coil losses) x 4 x 7,5A = 555W.
You have additional losses in the two power transformers and a little bit on the front end board. So you get nearly 580W
If you would take a higher voltage and less current you have only little power driving 1,2 Ohm speakers. You need the high current for the eletrostatic speakers for the high frequencies. The sensitivity of of the electrostatic speakers is not bad. So I do not need very high output power and so I do not need high rail voltages. It sounds amazing and much better than most of the high power amps on the market.

Last edited:
Eric it is a stereo amplifier, not a mono block! See my pictures at #389
So you have to calculate it with 16V Rail voltage x4
Additional there a losses over the coils of the CLC filters and over the rectifiers.
Because this you have to calculate 16V (Rail voltage) + 1,5V (softrecovery rectifier losses) + 1V (Coil losses) x 4 x 7,5A = 555W.
You have additional losses in the two power transformers and a little bit on the front end board. So you get nearly 580W
If you would take a higher voltage and less current you have only little power driving 1,2 Ohm speakers. You need the high current for the eletrostatic speakers for the high frequencies. The sensitivity of of the electrostatic speakers is not bad. So I do not need very high output power and so I do not need high rail voltages.

This is correct ....!!!

Huh...i googled pass amps...f5.. aleph...firstwatt...pass zen...etc and i do not get it. all these builds and talk of how but no schematics. a schematic is not a theory 4electure or a simplified inference. where are these elusive kept secret schematics?
after reading 1000 pages and having built an amp or two what is the deal?

One day someone may post some in braille.
. .. ..... .. ... .... . ... .. .. . ....... .. .
.. . . .. .. ... . ... ... ..... .... . ... .. ..
. . . ... . ..... . . .... .. . ... .. .. . . ...

Here's one for F5. In TubeCad go to: File->Import->Braille

Edit: Apologies; It's actually the newer, larger one - F5TurboV3

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Zen v4 - http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zen-v4.pdf

F5 - http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f5_man.pdf

F3 -

F4 -
80669d1173133405-f4-power-amplifier-f4-power-amplifier.jpg

Burning Amp 1 - http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/BA1 r1.pdf

Burning amp 2 - http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/BA2 r1.pdf

Burning Amp 3 - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/194809-burning-amplifier-ba-3-a.html