Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

I am still searching for an appropiate phono-preamp to include. Any suggestions (preferrably an FET-design of which an PCB-design is available) ?

I have built the NJFET phono pre by Salas and I can say that even with modest components and on perfboard it performs very well, as many other builders would agree. The thread is long but there is a PDF summary (actually there are a few) that covers all the basics. Check Salas's evolution/update link on the first post to take you to the latest "basic" version of the circuit.

Salas also has a shunt reg that is recommended.

Both have single sided PCB files around too.

Cheers,
Tani.

Thanks for the kind words everyone..:)

Nice work, Dionsio! Can you comment on the heat dissipation? If your design handles the standard heat dissipation, future builders could save the cost of extruded heatsinks.

FWIW, I use one of these Amana non-ferrous blades for aluminum. The triple chip and negative hook angle leave a mirror fine edge.

I cant tell you exactly what the temp is as I dont have a IR thermo. I did run it for 8hrs biased at .65 and the whole case was cozy warm to the touch, not uncomfortable at all.. When I touched the mosfets they felt about the same temp as the case.. So far so good.....
Thanks for the tip on the blade:)

Nice work, Sean.

Nice to see someone finally make that style of case.
Where did you pickup the tubing and did you use any thermo grease between the tubing and sidewalls?

Thx,

Vince

The tubing came from Online metals.com
Yes a thin line of thermal grease squeezes out nicely when the tube is tightened down

Attachments

• heat sink.jpg
    heat sink.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,462
Ok, here are some higher rez photos, I'm still working on the hand rubbed tung oil finish but I had to post anyhow. Its hard to see but there is a 1/4" gap between the top and bottom edge of the heat sink and the wood so air can flow up the inside back of the sink and out the top all along the long edge. For whatever thermal reason it seems to keep it running cooler than when I first built the amp and the sinks were vertical with no flow up the inside face. Just one of many details. FYI, the multi wood parts are all 1/4" thick, that is not some thin verneer.

My apologies for the shaky iphone pictures. A friend is going to take some REAL pictures of it and my little Tripath 2020 amp along with some of my other woodworking using his big Nikon setup. We'll see how that goes. Now to design a case for my mini-Aleph.

I must admit that I built the V9 so I could compare it with my Tubelab 300B SE driving my Decware HDT full range speakers. While the V9 sounds excellent I find the 300B to be a more engaging experience. Any of you out there that have spent time with a 300B amp probably know what I mean, 'magical' in a word. That said I intend to run the V9 for another month or 2 just to give it a fair chance :) My thanks to one and all, especially 'Papa" for a good solid design that is indeed no slouch of an amp.