Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very nice Omishra !
Nice layout. Good idea to put the tranformer under the capacitors.
I'm building a similar Turbo version 2, and keep that in mind...
Is the 0.55A bias the maximum the heatsinks can disipate? How hot do they get? Cause if I calculate 2.2A x 33V it is "only" 73Watts per sink, and it looks like they can do much more...
From where did you get the speaker ground to the connectors? From the amp-pcb or from the PSU?

What did you use for insulators on the HS/transistors joint? They are very clean and appear as no spacer was installed. I've been looking at this.

FWIW, I have a roll of Kapton/polyimide tape left over from another project that I have used on my DCB1 buffer and Mini-A without issue (so far). I applied the tape to the part, used a small drill bit in my fingers to poke the hole for the screw, and trimmed the edges with a razor. I did not use any grease although perhaps I should consider that......

Attachments

• kapton.JPG
    kapton.JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 1,486
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wow ! Lots of good choices. I'll check them out and report back on my selection. Still leaning toward a 1 mil thickness but that's not an absolute.

Thanks All ;)

Edit: Don't know if I mentioned but another reason I am interested in the film (in a sheet) is use on larger surfaces. The pic is of a TDA7294 project that has a 3 1/4" X 1 1/2" common area. I'm still working on the liquid cooled discrete application which would require as much as a 4" X 11" contact pad. So cost also has to be considered. Simple grease might work but adding the thinnest film could assist the distribution over such a large area. Don't know yet.

Attachments

• Plate Gap.jpg
    Plate Gap.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,456
Last edited:
Is the 0.55A bias the maximum the heatsinks can disipate? How hot do they get? Cause if I calculate 2.2A x 33V it is "only" 73Watts per sink, and it looks like they can do much more...
They are passing 10sec hand touch test with 0.6A/device bias. That was maximum possible for these heatsinks. But here now daytime temperature is 30deg Celcius. It will touch 40-45 during next couple of months. So keeping in mind that rise, I reduced bias to 0.55A/device.

From where did you get the speaker ground to the connectors? From the amp-pcb or from the PSU?
Speaker grounds are taken from amp PCB. From PS ground(floating), wires go to earth ground isolator and amp board.