Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

That might differentiate it for us "in the know", but it doesn't really do much for the common masses.

I'm also a sucker for the Firstwatt-style cases and aesthetics, so I like to make the distinction clear in other ways. (Example pictures attached; genuine F3 on wood floor; my clone on carpet.)

Attachments

• Firstwatt F3 front panel 2.jpg
    Firstwatt F3 front panel 2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,844
  • front panel.jpg
    front panel.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,843
A little late to the party and I took my time to finish this VFET amp, but I tried to do the design justice. Only made possible due to the great support and generosity from this DIY community. Thanks all!

I used some bubinga for the frontpanel and I squeezed a dual power supply with two toroidal 225VA transformers (under the cover) in to this 3U 400mm deep case. Despite the tight fit, the amp is very quiet.

It's still early days but it's already showing some of its sweet natural color and big sound-stage (compared to my F5), eventhough it's still burning in on my disposable speaker.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A little late to the party and I took my time to finish this VFET amp, but I tried to do the design justice. Only made possible due to the great support and generosity from this DIY community. Thanks all!

I used some bubinga for the frontpanel and I squeezed a dual power supply with two toroidal 225VA transformers (under the cover) in to this 3U 400mm deep case. Despite the tight fit, the amp is very quiet.

It's still early days but it's already showing some of its sweet natural color and big sound-stage (compared to my F5), eventhough it's still burning in on my disposable speaker.

Buenísimo señor, the best Sir Tell us how sound.

Very nice build! Love the woodwork, love the symmetry inside and the tight fit.:) Are the transformers shielded, by what?

Thanks Walter! The transformers have MU metal bands (which I got from Amplino, ask Henk incase you want to order some). They also have metal endplates. The visible metal shielding is zinc sheet metal. Originally I wanted to pot the transformers but there wasn't enough space. All the AC lines have metal breading sleeves and run underneath the bottom mounting plate.

Hi Santos,

The heatsinks should be big enough, other builders have used even smaller, although they get up to 49Celcius with 22 degree ambient at the moment. I'm planning to drill extra ventilation holes in the bottom to allow for a bit more circulation and maybe turn down the amp a little.

Stijn - AWESOME build! I just finished a set of FHXL speakers with Bubonga hardwood baffle and Quartersawn Bubinga veneer on the top and sides Another FHXL Build. Looks like we have a match, though since I'm unwilling to give up my new speakers, you should send your nice new amp to me!

Guess it's time to start on my Vfet amp...

Last edited: