Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

we can't expect that someone post XA*.5 schematic in public

it's still in undisclosed category , by PL

I was keying on Vitali's description as "clone", thinking something (a take-off) had been approved for public use. If the interest was there, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr. Pass :)devilr:) couldn't resist the temptation to pull us all in for another adventure in the saga. :D :D :D

I can't abide someone copying Nelson Passes design for profit. It's the worst part of human nature to do so! It spoils his gift to DIYers.

Learn to build it yourself (with help) from the best of human nature!

I totally agree with you. Another worst part is to showcase and make everybody amaze of how good your build from a finished kit.

In post 2647, it may be similar with XA160.5 kit I saw 4 years ago in Southern part of China. It can show also to his faceplate on the model if Im not mistaken.

abadsantos,
I'm almost 100kg, you know how much is shipping by DHL to Europe?
know what it looks like a professional CNC? You probably do not ...
Moderator, please delete my post 2647.

Each mono amp case is 35Kg X 2 = 70Kg (not including transformer and capacitor bank) So you are correct Net weight will have 100Kg probably more.

[you know how much is shipping by DHL to Europe?]
For a 100Kg by air will be very very expensive.

[know what it looks like a professional CNC? You probably do not]
I know what a professional CNC looks like. My work involves precision
tooling sometimes up to +/- 1 mil tolerance.

But you know how much that amp case in China? Thats only about
600USD X 2 = 1200USD.

Do you know how much the XA160.5 kit in China = 800USD.

So if you are in China, you can have a complete set of pirated XA160.5
at total 2,500USD more or less.

My point is, Papa Nelson is extremely generous enough to share his masterpiece design and yet we are still patronizing the Pirates on the otherside of the world.

......My point is, Papa Nelson is extremely generous enough to share his masterpiece design and yet we are still patronizing the Pirates on the otherside of the world.

YA BUT :rolleyes:

The X series has such a mystique and glorious reputation (hence the temptation) that many of us wonder which (if any) of the approved/shared 'masterpiece designs' come anywhere close to that level of performance.

I'm just now getting a bit of a handle on the BA series, but this conversation has caused me to look at the posted ax as a closer cousin and a possible new direction. Any comment?

Attachments

• ax-pp-se (v2).pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The X series has such a mystique and glorious reputation (hence the temptation) that many of us wonder which (if any) of the approved/shared 'masterpiece designs' come anywhere close to that level of performance.

I think what Mr. Pass gives to DIY is as good as anything as in his commercial offerings.
He lays out the tools for us and it's up to us to figure it out. Some do and some don't.
I don't think he's hiding anything. Take the F6 simplified schematic. Took months but someone eventually came very close to the actual F6 schematic. I don't think it was by accident. Someone learned something.

It has finally occurred to me that Mr. Pass is not totally interested in creating the next best sounding amp. Just what he finds sounds good to him in his research. He said it himself, 'I like to build amps and listen to them'. It might just be that simple.

What I find more interesting are the hundreds of ideas that we'll never see.

Just my 2 cents.

I think what Mr. Pass gives to DIY is as good as anything as in his commercial offerings.
He lays out the tools for us and it's up to us to figure it out. Some do and some don't.
I don't think he's hiding anything. Take the F6 simplified schematic. Took months but someone eventually came very close to the actual F6 schematic. I don't think it was by accident. Someone learned something.

It has finally occurred to me that Mr. Pass is not totally interested in creating the next best sounding amp. Just what he finds sounds good to him in his research. He said it himself, 'I like to build amps and listen to them'. It might just be that simple.

What I find more interesting are the hundreds of ideas that we'll never see.

Just my 2 cents.

amen!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
boyz'n'girlz

nothing wrong if piece is one off , even if from blatant clone kit (disclaimer - I'm not sure what's exactly Vitalica's amp .......... most probably piece pretty close to *.5 series)

example is my own shameless clone ....... as long it is unique , I don't care what anyone is thinking or saying ; then it's pretty much nothing more and nothing less than Kudos to Pa .

IMG_2047.jpg