Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

F5 half finished

Here's hoping that I've got everything right - one half of it is ready for testing.

Attachments

• DSIR9617.JPG
    DSIR9617.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,611
Better propective

This photo might better show the relative size of the heatsinks.

The case is a 4U chassis, the toroid is a 500VA unit.

The two big caps are 22000uF Audio Grade caps then feeding a CRC filter with 10 x 4700uF caps.

This amp is only intended to operate as the HF amplifier in a tri-amp setup.

Attachments

• DSIR9619.JPG
    DSIR9619.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,437
how many fins...

Here is a shot of my newly constructed Aleph J.

The heatsinks are pretty small; each side assembly adds to about 8x10 inches of fins. The heavy aluminium brackets probably help...

I played it recently for 4 hours driving 4 Ohm speakers (KEF 104/2) straight out of the CD player and though it got hot it never got past the 5 second touch rule.

Perhaps I am just lucky so far but I might have done right by keeping the fins up high for good air flow; it was my whole intention with the tiered nature of this scrapyard build.

I'd say be smart and fearless. If it gets too hot you'll have to rebuild. Just don't leave the room while you do your testing :hot:

Attachments

• color Aleph J web.jpg
    color Aleph J web.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,326
I've done some assembling and wiring after I got my chassis parts home from powder coating. By the way sorry for the crappy picture quality.

Cutting some Keratherm

Inside

Grinded frontplate

Attachments

• pass pic 1.jpg
    pass pic 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • pass pic 2.jpg
    pass pic 2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • pass pic 3.jpg
    pass pic 3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • pass pic 4.jpg
    pass pic 4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • pass pic 5.jpg
    pass pic 5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 935
Looks lovely but I've been getting comments that my heatsinks are too small and they dwarf yours.

Your sinks are 56Kmm^2 mine are around 51. I may have more mass if you include the brackets the sinks mount to. Total mass is about 5.3Kg / side.

What this says to me is you should be alright on an Aleph J if you get good air flow - at least that is my experience ;)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Here is a shot of my newly constructed Aleph J.

The heatsinks are pretty small; each side assembly adds to about 8x10 inches of fins. The heavy aluminium brackets probably help...

I played it recently for 4 hours driving 4 Ohm speakers (KEF 104/2) straight out of the CD player and though it got hot it never got past the 5 second touch rule.

Perhaps I am just lucky so far but I might have done right by keeping the fins up high for good air flow; it was my whole intention with the tiered nature of this scrapyard build.

I'd say be smart and fearless. If it gets too hot you'll have to rebuild. Just don't leave the room while you do your testing :hot:

The end result looks very nice, like the blue light coming from it...
Enjoy listening to it !

Walter