Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

I would try some liquid solvents before messing with a solid abrasive to remove that old logo. Nail polish remover? Paint thinner?

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to re-brush the entire front surface. You can do some nice work with a sanding block and 400-600 grit sand paper. Use a block of wood as an edge guide so you get nice straight lines when you sand.

Liquid cooling the F5 Turbo

All,

I've read recent postings about liquid cooling of Pass DIY amps.

My next door neighbors--Wilbur and Orville Wong--recently developed a liquid helium (H3) cryostat cooling system for the F5 Turbo V3. It works at 0.365 degrees Kelvin--and thanks to superconductivity, is 132.78% efficient. Working in their garage workshop (picture shown) they developed the cooling system for $3.23 (US) using parts from a Maytag washing machine, Yugo station wagon, and a Mercury outboard motor.

The picture shows the obvious jubilation of Wilbur and Orville, right after they measured the Turbo V3's output at 3.446 KW into 0.2 ohms. Wilbur found no problem in holding Orville's hand to the heatsink for more than a minute--although Orville subsequently lost several layers of skin and suffered severe hypothermia in attempting to remove his hand afterwards.

Ohhhh..... There is something so wright about their concept, and yet something so wong in their execution.

Enjoy....... Pass DIY and Class A forever.....! :D

Attachments

• Liquid Helium F5 Turbo.jpg
    Liquid Helium F5 Turbo.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,640
That is fantastic!

Can you elaborate on how they cooled the voice coil of the speaker to handle a couple KW? Full immersion in liquid? I can't imagine that would be all that good for the sound quality...

Yep. The voice coils did handle the cryo-turbo F5 V3 power! Of course, that was only for a few milliseconds, but the HF output was VERY impressive!

6L6.... I'll get in contact with you in a few days. I'm currently overseeing/helping/hindering a bunch of subcontractors putting a pool in the back yard. Funny, but 86 degrees and 98% humidity feels a LOT different than 86 degrees at 5,200 feet in Colorado...... This "retirement thing" certainly isn't as relaxing and liesurely as I thought it would be....!

Actually, the idea of a liquid (non-cryo, of course) amp is intriguing--I'll have to add that to my "to do" list....somewhere....sometime....somehow.....

:)