Strange little circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I'm simming this little circuit, which seems to work in the virtual world, but haven't seen it the the real world.

Resistor 25 is the only way I can get this thing to make an amplified signal. Seems that the load on the mosfets is just about perfect, according to the sim's power/voltage graph.

Normally, I took the output from the mosfet drains (which were connected to + with a pair of 330 ohm resistors) to the transformer and just left the primary center tap alone.

This is kind of a backwards way of doing the same thing, or is it? Changing the value of R25 has a dramatic affect on gain.

Any comments?

Attachments

• odd circuit.PNG
    odd circuit.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 467
It looks workable to me, but there might be an issue with
your transformer model.

:cool:

With Simetrix, I simmed an "ideal" transformer (which doesn't really exist). The primaries are 10H each. The step up is 4 to 1. I noticed that for the same overall gain, the step up takes a lot of load off the mosfets; their power curves are more uniform. Still, I can't help but wonder if the transformer creates more distortion than it cures--guess I'll have to locate an interstage transformer and find out.

I just finished this weekend one drek CD player , worth 1k7E ;
Beyerdynamic microphone xformers instead zillion OP's in I/V conversion and lowpass ;
that's pure music now .

even if that's distortion , I like it ; my friend ( who is owner ) is happy camper now .

Sounds interesting, Choky. I'm trying to locate some decent interstage transformers for this project. Perhaps you could guide me? I've noticed that the bandwidth is a bit limited on many models in the catalog (the internet :D) I put a bug in Tom's ear down at Hammond... maybe they can stir me up a custom gadget.

According to the sim, the current is very low, less than 100uA, so that should help with size, because it needs lots of inductance--on the order of 10H to 30H in the primaries, and lord only know what that does to the secondaries, because I want to try a step-up device.

Lots of fun...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.