Aleph P with balanced shunt attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm using my Aleph P1.7 right now single-ended with a 10K 41-step 1,5dB-per-step series attenuator on the output from Acoustic Dimension. Would it be possible to use this attenuator in a balanced series-shunt attenuator like shown on the right side in this picture:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ok, I have three questions regarding this setup:
Any drawbacks in this configuration? Is the Aleph P1.7 up to this config? And lastly what should be the value of the series resistors?

Thanks!

That's a good question. Referencing the signal to ground, it would surely change the response. After thinking a minute, no, it wouldnt work correctly single ended. A simple DPDT switch would work though, switching the bottom of the att. from ground to the other output.

1K is just a guess as you are using it as a variable voltage divider.

That's a good question. Referencing the signal to ground, it would surely change the response. After thinking a minute, no, it wouldnt work correctly single ended. A simple DPDT switch would work though, switching the bottom of the att. from ground to the other output.

I see that the D1 also uses such a volume control, but there it is squeezed between active circuitry. So that would be the condition for both the functioning of SE and balanced without a switch?

balanced attenuator

If you go to Erno Borbely's web site you will find a tweak for a balanced volume control that looks very similiar to yours that he recommends for use with his equipment. You can compare the resistors used in the balanced arrangement. I have tried it and it works fine. dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.