Zen vs. GainKlone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a Gainklone to take the place of a Zen V4. It was for the summer to keep it cool in the house. I built it to peters specs. It is used every day. It switches from the CD, VCR, and TV. Afer a week my wife tells me "I like the one with the wood (Zen) better. I changed a few cap values to get a smoother sound, still not good enough. The Zen is back. It's going to be a hot summer. :judge:

Did you use at least 400VA Plitron transformer with 2 separate MUR860 (OnSemi) bridges bypassed by 4.7 BG N caps with Cardas wire from PS to the amp, using 250k Caddock MK132 resistor for feedback and 10k, 1W Riken for input, Nobel pot and no coupling cap, as well as 1000u/50V BG per rail mounted directly at the LM3875 pins, using 18ga solid copper wire for p2p connections, Cardas binding posts, aluminum oxide insulating pad and at least 1/2" aluminum bar stock as chassis?

If not, your amp was not to my specs;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=193581#post193581

Well, so I wonder how close you got with a sound?;)

Now imagine, if you applied similar specs to Zen4, what killer amp you might be geting?;)

I didn't try Zen 4, only the original version and both amps ( Zen and GC) offered sightly different sonic presentation. I couldn't say which one was better, as both have appeal to certain tastes and listeners. The subject was also discussed in a previous thread, if you use search.

I didn't try Zen 4, only the original version and both amps ( Zen and GC) offered sightly different sonic presentation.

Well, so I wonder how close you got with a sound?

I couldn't say which one was better, as both have appeal to certain tastes and listeners.

I am just saying the wife likes it better. I like the Aleph 30. It's O.K. if you like gainklones.:nod: :eek:

Hi!

Bricolo said:
Did your wife prefer the Zen because of its sound, or because it's made of wood? :)

:idea: :idea:
Now, that would be a challenging test... Take any high end amp (monoblock, commercial or DIY) which uses a HEAVY duty style case (like original Alephs, XA200, and so on), better, take two of them, disconnect one of the amps internally and smuggle a GC inside (maybe even mount it on those ridiciously big heatsinks), and let people do a comparison... (maybe you would have to imitate class A heat via peltier elements or something else)...

The optics often have a lot of influence on our opinion on something...
I have just reconnected my GC instead of my P3A, since I want to overhaul my P3A design (actually no clue what's wrong with it), since it produces a slight hum in the mid-range woofers, and I cannot say that my GC sounds bad at all...

It will simply not be able to handle those speakers I am planning to build this years fall... Otherwise it's an excellent amp... :)

Bye,

Arndt

Peter, Go for the SOZ, i'd love to see what you come up with!
(they do run HOT though, even at 10 watts!)

((i thought your AX was pretty "no holds barred" already :)

my brother asked me what i thought the difference was between
my SOZ and Aleph 3 (commercial)... it's hard for me to say.
I guess i'm just bad at comparing things. I think i like the Aleph 3
more, but i think it's just 'cause i'm used to it, and the SOZ hasn't
burned in yet (not even in final case yet)...

comparisons... tricky.

build and have fun!

m.

moe29 said:
Peter, Go for the SOZ, i'd love to see what you come up with!
(they do run HOT though, even at 10 watts!)

I built chassis for SOZ a year ago. It will be 10W version. It's only that I got involved with all that GC craze, that I didn't have time to pursue other designs. But I learned a lot playing with GC and I will be using probably different components, that I initially planned with SOZ. 500VA toroids are at the bottom. I also bought 15ohm, 30W Caddocks, I'll be using in parallel.

Attachments

• zen2.jpg
    zen2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 685
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.