Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using a DBX 223XS. I use it for bass only. Since my SFL-2 preamp has 2 sets of balanced outputs I run my main loudspeakers full range, with out the DBX, and run the 2nd set of outputs into the DBX for bass frequency's and attenuation only.

If I purchased a B4 crossover I'd be switching back to unbalanced connections and running everything thru the B4. My top cabs use passive X-overs.

Not sure if it would be worth doing, but there are a lot more choices of preamps if I went back to using unbalanced connections.

Plus who knows, my main MTM loudspeakers just might benefit from running thru the B4. I have know idea at this point.

Last edited:
The buffer Juma uses in his LSK preamp is a good alternative to the Toshiba PP option. It uses readily available and inexpensive parts and performs quite well. If going balanced, consider LTP input that can accept balanced input, but having SE ouput. Simplifies the Xover part and the signal can be converted back to balanced any number of ways, with a transformer being one. I know transformers are terible things, but consider the fact that the exist in so many of the mixing tables that are a part of the recording process and they become less offensive.

Two B4's.

:cool:

Mr. Pass,

Wouldn't it be a potential issue in such a setup that the transistors in the two B4 (one for + and one for -) are not matched pairs, so it is not ideal in terms of balanced operation? Matched level adjustment pots, etc? Or perhaps I am wrong.

Would it be difficult to have two monoblocks (one per channel), with matched transistors, proper XLR connector etc so that a Two-chasis B4 would be a neat balanced unit? I only ask because perhaps such a unit (with a top power supply) could sound better than the PASS XVR-1 that I own, or not?

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is more important that the transistor pairs running push-pull are matched,
giving the offset and distortion cancellation. Matching between channels is
less important.

If you want matched channel pairs from one of mine, you will find them within
a single B4 or units with close serial #'s, as I do production from matched
batches.

:cool:

Original '14 version of B4 for sale?

Does anyone have one of the original 2014 version of the First Watt B4 x/o they care to sell? I'm thinking the 600 ohm output of my EAR 868 pre-amp will like the 100k input impedance of the original better than the 10k of the revised version. Or am I mistaken? Forgive me, I'm not electronically educated like ya'll ;-).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.