Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.PNG
    IMG_1111.PNG
    536 KB · Views: 428
This is only the electric side of the crossover. In the real world, you need to use the acoustic respsonses of the drivers and adjust to suit.
I believe Nelson Pass' post #370 dealt with this. The figure shows the tweeter 12 dB roll off and woofer 12 dB roll off, as HP and LP filters respectively.
To this the second order crossover network is shown. A simulation will show the response not to be flat when summing. I believe NP encouraged us to play with this.

You can explore the concept with a simulator, where the simplest model
of the output of a cone speaker has 12 dB/oct acoustic rolloff.

Try adjusting this simulation for a flat sum at woofer+tweeter nodes.

From Martin Colloms’ book “High performance loudspeakers” fourth edition. I guess I would like to locate my crossover frequency somewhere in the “C” range not using the natural roll off as part of the crossover. I also mean that if you stretch the woofers response up to the “C” it will become much more directive than the tweeter taking over. I am sure this gives abruptly off axis behavior.

Attachments

• 4A4F4F37-EC57-4D1A-BC51-BFD883101BB2.jpg
    4A4F4F37-EC57-4D1A-BC51-BFD883101BB2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 379
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From Martin Colloms’ book “High performance loudspeakers” fourth
edition. I guess I would like to locate my crossover frequency somewhere in
the “C” range not using the natural roll off as part of the crossover.

Hard to avoid, since the phase variation of the driver extends well into
the C region.

And of course, like Monty Python's Camelot, "It's only a model."

:Pirate: Crimson Permanent Assurance

Thank you for making B4 available as a DIY project! Rubbing my hands, I can't wait to replace my Najda DSP crossover. I have prototyped the best all around crossover for my horn stack and I'm able to get away with no delays and a combination of 12 and 6db/oct filter slopes. Hooray -- I can go all analogue.

How many B4 kits will I need to replicate a 4-way stereo crossover? What will be the PS requirement for them?

thank you,
Herman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.