Difference in B1's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for such a noob question(s)
I am happy with my source(s), power amps and speakers but need to upgrade preamp.
I have settled on the lighter note kit for volume control but need further help with the B1 preamp on offer.
If someone could explain the difference(in simple terms!) between the hypnotize, mezmerize and the many other bords and variances available. I see there is a new GB coming up, is it worth waiting for? Are there any designs or boards to be ary of?
How many inputs can they accept?

The B1 is described in the Pass web site.
It is an AC coupled single ended stage. I think PCBs are available from Pass.

The DCB1 is a DC coupled version of the B1. The GB was for two versions.

Hypnotize is a single stereo input and stereo output with muting relay during start up.
Mezmerize is 6channels of stereo input and one stereo output. Again with muting relay and PCB space for an attenuator. This would make a good start for a 6 IN to 1 OUT preamp.

Some are building B1 and DCB1 as point to point since there are so few components in the assemblies.

Sorry for such a noob question(s)
I am happy with my source(s), power amps and speakers but need to upgrade preamp.
I have settled on the lighter note kit for volume control but need further help with the B1 preamp on offer.
If someone could explain the difference(in simple terms!) between the hypnotize, mezmerize and the many other bords and variances available. I see there is a new GB coming up, is it worth waiting for? Are there any designs or boards to be ary of?
How many inputs can they accept?

I would start with the B1 from the Pass website if you are a noob. It is easier to build than the DC coupled one, requires a less complicated and more readily available power supply, and uses only 4 matched JFETs which are available with the board from PassDIY. With the DC coupled board, you have many more parts involved and you have to match a lot more JFETs.

The B1 standard from PassDIY has two inputs, you can install a simple switch, or bypass the input selection easily and then just change cables until you get a switch going.

Just my 2 cents.

Aaron.

Thanks for the help. My brother in an electronic engineer so he will be able to do the build for me.
I am still trying to learn the basics by asking and reading as much as possible. I will probably buy a "lighternote kit" and wait for the latest DC coupled B1 group buy.
Thanks again Aaron and Andrew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.